Gas Tank with Internal Rust

Started by Re-Vision, April 10, 2012, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

The metal in the XZ tanks is very thin compared to most motorcycles, so I would be very gentle to it.  The POR 15 folks have an "etching" solution that should be as aggressive as necessary if you don't leave it in too long.  Distilled white vinegar is a fairly gentle acid that will dissolve the rust, but again, don't leave it in the tank longer than you need.  Once the stuff is removed from the tank you need to immediately dry the inside before it starts rusting again.  Either the POR 15 or Caswell kits are good, you need to follow the directions.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

One of the reasons I left OR . No offense intended. ;)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

mechaman

I've recently repaired my tanks HUGE :o holes with fiberglass resin/matting and applied Bondo over the resin and have primed the outside of the tank after striping all the paint.(for someone whos never done body work before it doesnt look too bad) ;D  I now need to coat the tank inside as well.  I want to use the Por 15 kit but does anybody know if the chemicals to prepare the tank will eat the fiberglass resin? ??? If it doesn't and I can continue with the process, will the Por 15 coating stick to the areas that have resin and not metal? ???
"Do not argue with an idiot.  He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Lucky

it'll stick to any clean (dry, non oily) surface.  Marine tanks are commonly fiberglass, which ethanol deterioates. POR-15 is a very common cure for those tanks.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

mechaman

Thanks Lucky, that's what I was hoping to hear! :) I can't wait to order my kit and finish my tank! One more question, rm97 posted a link to a you tube video playlist and in that set of videos the author used a Por15 Kit that was NOT the fuel tank sealer kit. It is only $21 compared to the tank sealer kit which is much more. I don't care to spend the extra but if the cheaper Por15 kit will work that will also be easier on my wallet. ;D
"Do not argue with an idiot.  He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Lucky

as long as the inside is clean & properly prepped you can use just the sealer, just be careful to leave as pristine a surface as possable.

ive used the motorcycle tank kits with good results, but i think the amount of POR supplied isn't enough.  others have used POR kits & had too much (which you want to avoid as well)  you don't need a thick coat, and you really don't want to try to fill the low spots, i understand it won't cure properly.

i'm going to clean my tanks out, rinse them out, treat with a cut mixture of muriatic & water, dry well, (it will flash rust, but that's ok) and then follow up with phosphoric acid which will etch & convert the rust.  dry well & then coat with POR.  I have two tanks to do, so i'm only going to buy the POR itself, enough to do 2 tanks (a quart size iirc) and do both tanks at the same time (with Spectre) because once you open the POR, you have to use it all up.  you can't store unused POR.  

Also, VERY IMPORTAINT: DO NOT shake POR. you'll create tiny bubbles in the coating & it will fail.  instead, use a very small padle on a drill (think popsicle stick) or a dull drill bit to mix it up well.

muukow

Well I live in Oregon in the peoples republic of Eugene and there are a couple places that will dip a tank! Though the last one I did myself with electrolycis and it did just as good of job!
1982 Vision-stock except for 84 RZ350 paint!

Rick G

Lucky , I had to coat a small tank with por 15 and only used 1/2 of the can. I caped it and put it on the shelf. over  a year later I did another small tank and it worked just fine . I know the instructions say you can't save it , but in at least one instance it worked.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Protonus

If you store unused por-15, make sure it's sealed well (i like to put a sheet of syran betwen the lid and the can and then hammer the lid on), and keep it in the fridge, should keep for many months this way. In fact, if you store por-15 for more than a few weeks, you should keep it in the fridge.  Says so on their site/instructions.  And as mentioned, don't shake it!

1982 with full '83 fairings

Rick G

Mine sat in the shed in OR and then here in Az for nearly a year and worked fine . Just lucky I guess. I stored it upside down , to ensure that it was sealed.
Rick G