need help with a frozen motor

Started by Hartless, April 11, 2012, 12:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

i am getting a motor on thursday from a former visionary that has moved on. he tells me that the motor might be frozen from sitting in the weather, but he has not tried to turn it over. anyone have any pointers on how to break it loose?

Edit: maybe "break it loose" isnt exactly what i mean, i dont want to break Anything!
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Tiger

:) Remove the spark plugs, shoot in a couple of onces of light oil...(I've even used diesel over the years!!)...and leave over night. Remove the spark plugs and try to turn the engine over by hand. This method will work, most of the time ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Also, the clutch pack may be frozen from sitting, i've had this happen on a few Visions.  you may need to rock the bike back & fourth in gear to break it free,i've had to do this for up to 45 min, pretty vioently too...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Hartless

Thanks guys, tomorrow I should be picking it up and hopefully I can get right to work. It will also hopefully be nice because I will have two motors now, so I can get my parts bike up and going as well. One of my buddies has been bugging me since I got it to get it going for him haha

Hartless

So I got the motor yesterday. Along with some nice heads and pistons and rods. Aaand some 83 wheels and final drive and ignition, gas cap, and helmet lock with key. Nice guy. And here is the kicker. The motor wasn't seized. More like stuck. I squirted some oil in the cylinders and it took about a minute to get it to turn. I have it mounted on the frame and just need to swap on a flywheel, stator, and readiator and hopefully I'm riding again. Supposedly the motor ably had 3500 miles and possibly euro gears. How do I know I'd it has euro gears?

Rick G

To find out before you ride it , remove the clutch cover and count the teeth on the primary gear. One of us has the number of teeth written down, some where. Actually I would not do that , unless you are prepared to replace the seal in  the outer cover the is on the end of the crank . It should be replace every time it is removed.
The second option is to wait until you can ride it , euro geared bikes turn slightly less rpm at any given speed.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Hartless

I'll just fin out when I ride it. Ther are a couple threads that mention regular speeds at certain rpms

QBS

Make your starter clutch is attached properly and starter motor oil seal is spring lip design.

Hartless

I had to swap the starter clutch and flywheel along with the stator from my old engine. So they should be good. As far as the starter seal, I am just goin to try and start it up and see if it runs. Then I'm going to drain the oil and put new in and check all that... If it runs

Hartless

well she turns over and sounds like she wants to run, but then backfires....need to check and see if the cams are set up correctly. i also think that the started might be filling with oil@!

muukow

If the engine is original your cams should be fine.Look for a sticking valve or a fouled plug.The Intake valves may be sticking or moving slow because of old fuel on the the stems some PB Blaster or other lube should get them moving again
1982 Vision-stock except for 84 RZ350 paint!

The Prophet of Doom

Just for the record:

Primary Drive Gearing:

Europe / Australasia34/722.117:1
United States of Freedom33/732.212:1
XZ40031/742.387:1

Hartless

thanks RORO. i actually got her started up, but it was after i swapped the starter from my old engine. apparently the seal was bad, because it bogged then quit working. when i took it off it was full of nasty brown oil. the reason it would start is because i didnt realize that the throttle cable was kinked at the carbs and it was stuck open.

Rick G

I'd sure like to try a 550 with the 400 primary gears , It would make a great holigan
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

The Prophet of Doom

XZ400s were fairly prolific here - most wreckers will have one.
I paid $150 last month for a set plus the lighter XZ400 flywheel.  Not fitted yet

Hartless

I was actually ableto ride her yesterday! It gets up and goes.  Actually accidentally got the front tire off the ground when I got on it a bit... Didn't even think that was possible.... It overhears and does it quick though so I'm going to go over the cooling system today. Also, going to have to swap the oil sensor unit out too... And the nuetral light switch thing got stripped out (by me of course) so I have to figure that out... Almost there. Oh need to sync carbs too.. Could be my overheating problem too.

QBS

Overheating happens only when the needle actually TOUCHES the red zone.  Anything less is just warm normal operation.  Have you been into your cooling system recently and possibly failed to properly burp it?  V cooling systems are very robust and trouble free.  Also check for blown fan fuse, inline type hidden in, of all places, the headlight area.  It's the only inline fuse on the bike.  Whats with that?

Rick G

Rick G

Hartless

Yes I did burp it, and I have the fan wired so it comes on when the ignition is turned on. It origionally was on a toggle switch when I got it, but it broke and I didn't have Any extras. I'm going to flush the coolants system today. Looked like it might be a little gunky.oh... And it definitely touched the red part. Mote like became enveloped by the red....haha

Hartless

Anyone ever had their starter get stuck engaged? I was riding it yesterday after I synced the carbs and all of the sudden I started losing power, it almost felt like the rear brake got stuck on. Was able to make it home and the starter wouldn't turn over. Upon trying to push start I can hear the starter turn even when I am not giving any power to it. Anything? I'm going to try and take the left cover off tonight but I have tickets to the weak a** blazers game tonight