News:

Main Menu

need help with a frozen motor

Started by Hartless, April 11, 2012, 12:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

As far as the engine goes, having the starter stuck on won't make any difference.  you can hit the starter all day long with the enginerunning & it's fine because it's an over-running clutch.  in fact, i reguarly hit the starter if i'm stuck at a light, over the sensor wire because that turns the starter into a big electromagnet & trips the sensor.

electricly, you'll drain the battery flat in no time if the starter is passing current. i'd start with the relay next to the battery box.  it's hard to imagine how it could be getting 'dragged' mechanicly unless the clutch was somehow frozed 'engaged'
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Hartless

Quote from: Lucky on April 18, 2012, 09:30:29 AM
As far as the engine goes, having the starter stuck on won't make any difference.  you can hit the starter all day long with the enginerunning & it's fine because it's an over-running clutch.  in fact, i reguarly hit the starter if i'm stuck at a light, over the sensor wire because that turns the starter into a big electromagnet & trips the sensor.

electricly, you'll drain the battery flat in no time if the starter is passing current. i'd start with the relay next to the battery box.  it's hard to imagine how it could be getting 'dragged' mechanicly unless the clutch was somehow frozed 'engaged'
I guess I should have been more specific, it feels as if the starter clutch is engaged. When you pushthe bike to turn the motor over, you can hear the starter turning with it
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Lucky

Put the bike on the center stand, in gear, not running & turn the back wheel.  see if you can hear the starter...  you may have to drain the oil, pull the starter do the test again & see if the idler gear for the starter is turning.

if so...you may have somehow installed the clutch backwards... (all i can think of that would cause it)  i really don't think one of the rollers is stuck, i think it would slip.  it would have to be all 3... really unlikely to have 3 stuck.....

Hartless

Well, that's what I was thinking too, but I know I didn't put it in backwards all I did was swap the whole flywheel from my other engine, not to mention it worked fine for three days prior to this happening. But I did put it on the center stand and spin the wheel, and you could still hear it. You want to just come work on it for me?

Lucky

well then start with pulling the starter & checking the idler gear, you should be able to save & reuse your fresh oil.

What was wrong with your original engine?

Protonus

Quote from: Lucky on April 18, 2012, 09:30:29 AMin fact, i reguarly hit the starter if i'm stuck at a light, over the sensor wire because that turns the starter into a big electromagnet & trips the sensor.

HA! Great tip!  :D

1982 with full '83 fairings

Hartless

Yup. That's my plan. The old engine has a bad rod bearing. I aquired this new(to me) engine and it supposedly has euro gears and only 3500 miles. I Dont have the room to tear the the engine apart so it was easier to just swap it out

Lucky

yeah, i really don't see any way it could go in backwards, if it really was that fubared by the po, then i'm sure you would have noticed. the bolt heads are recessed & all..  what i'm wondering is if the clutch isn't cracked or warped...   some times a bad clutch can start a bike just fine, other times you might hear it slip....

Rick G

You can drop your side stand , while waiting , it lowers the magnetic field closer to the sensor. Just remember to raise it before you ride off!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Hartless

Dang it ... New motor motor is talking to me now saying, " clank clank knock nock screech screech" I think that translates in to " I want to be rebuilt!"

QBS

At 3500 miles any V engine should be in brand new condition.  At that mileage all it should need is an oil change.  There is just no way it should be making such bad noises unless it was severly abused, or the starter clutch is all wrong and broken, or the engine was diassembled and reassembled wrong.  That then begs the question as to why it needed to be disassembled in the first place.

Hartless

Your telling me. Thing is I have no way to verify that it only had 3500 miles. I got it from a former rover that got it from a guy that claimed that... Haha oh well at least the weather over here is getting nice. Plus just found a barn find vision complete with sport fairings only 8000 on it close by for 300obo

QBS

Your barn find 8000 might be the better deal.

fret not

Hartless, did you actually run the motor?  Does the oil light come on?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

Sounds like its got a bad rear rod bearing!  Ask me how I know about such things.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Hartless

i did run the motor and it ran great... then all of the sudden it bogged down and quit running  eventually. the oil light did not come on. it did at first, but the oil sensor was bad.....

Rikugun

Quote(did the oil light come on?) it did at first, but the oil sensor was bad.....

Either that or for some reason the motor had no oil pressure for a spell.....   Did you change the oil and filter prior to it's first run up?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Hartless

Yes I did, I teste the oil sensor and it was bad, I swapped a good one on there before it started acting up

Hartless

Quote from: Rick G on April 21, 2012, 11:52:54 PM
Sounds like its got a bad rear rod bearing!  Ask me how I know about such things.
I forgot to ask how you know such things Rick!

Rick G

I've banged two rear rod bearings , It starts as a tick tick and advances to a tap, tap and on to a clunk clunk , It will squeek as it locking up.
To be fair, I run the P**s out of it.  I bought the VX , to take the load off of the Vision . I only have one spare bottom end , before I have to start getting cranks reground.
Rick G