News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Starter thrust washers

Started by carotman, April 13, 2012, 12:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carotman

I was rebuilding my friend's starter tonight and I noticed the starter had been disassembled before. It seems I'm missing the thrust washers :(

I found only 1 washer on the brush side and that's it. Is this normal? I think I'm supposed to have more washers than that.

Also, the starter spins freely when the retaining bolts aren't tightened but once they're tight, I can't turn it by hand anymore. I of course made sure the planetary gears were aligned. Normal or not?

Re-Vision

Look inside the starter case, the magnets pull them off and sometimes they can bind the starter.    BDC

Rikugun

May not be adequate end play and some thrust washers were eliminated? I haven't had enough of these apart to know but perhaps more or less washers are used to accommodate tolerance fluctuations during manufacturing.

How are the "square edged" O-rings? Are they so mashed you loose end play while tightening the case screws? Also could be a misalignment issue. Try tightening incrementally between the bolts until final torque is achieved.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

They all have three washers at each end, a thick one sandwiched between two thin thrust washers.      BDC

carotman

I took the starter apart like 10 times to make sure everything was in it's place.

I got a new rebuild kit so the O-rings are brand new. I only have 1 thrust washer located on the brush side, nothing on the gear side. I did try to tighten the bolts slowly but the result is always the same.

I don't know the bike history so this starter might have unknown issues too.

When it's all assembled and I make it spin, I noticed the gear end was getting warm after a couple of test runs.