News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Flywheel removal problem

Started by carotman, April 15, 2012, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carotman

Well well

The Vision I'm currently working on has a slipping starter clutch so I decided to fix this asap. Seemed to be an easy fix.

I took the stator cover off the bike and I got some problems.

The previous owner of the bike "fixed" the starter clutch problem... or so he thought

1- He used very short bolts that aren't peened. They don't have anything to hold them there. These bolts have been cut with a hacksaw to their too short length. None of the reads go through the flywheel and the bolts surely have backed out.

2- The previous owner used the puller thread bolts to attach the starter clutch, leaving the original messed up threads for me.

This means I can't bolt a puller to the flywheel to take it out. I tried to, but the bolts will pop out, damaging the threads even more.

I could drill bigger holes and tap them but the starter clutch is in the way, I can't tap the threads to the bottom of the hole because the tap tool is conical.

You guys have any advice on what to no next?

Night Vision

pretty sure Tiger uses on of these

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

I think you could tap them bigger, use a "bottoming" tap: start with the regular tap & finish with a bottoming tap. (it's not tapered)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

carotman

This 3arm puller could work I guess. Won't it damage the flywheel tough?

I think I could grind a regular tap to turn it into a bottoming tap, just like this guy did.

http://www.muller.net/mullermachine/howto/insert/index.html

Lucky

i have ground down taps, but you need to do it in stages, so your going to probably need 3. usually you end up going further with each step & once you grind material away, you can't get it back.  quicker, cheaper & easier to just buy one of each tap...

Personaly i've never had good luck with 3 arm pullers, they tend to slip & with the pressures required to get the flywheel off i wouldn't trust it as a good option.  others may have had better luck with this approach & could offer a better opinion...

Protonus

I'd try the three arm. If you damage the fly wheel buy another off tiger.

1982 with full '83 fairings

Rick G

If its really stuck on there (as virtually all are) the three arm wont pull it off.
I had the same problem 10 years ago . I drilled the available holes to the base size for a 10 mm tap, which didn't leave enough material, so I went to the next size up in SAE course thread. I seem to remember it was 5/8 or 11/16 diameter, but don't quote  me.
I used the  tapered tap until it bottomed out in all three holes, then I cut off half of the taper with a Dremel cutoff wheel and ran the tap in one more time. Finally I cut the whole taper off making it a bottoming tap.
Finally, I  cut the thread and  installed the Automotive style vibration damper puller. It didn't want to come off so, after trying the biggest hammer I had , I tightened it up , until it sang . I  put a box of rags under it and closed up for the day , in the morning it was in the box waiting for me.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on April 15, 2012, 10:09:11 PM
pretty sure Tiger uses on of these

:) Spot on N_V...The three arm puller is the only puller I use on all the Vision's that I have worked on over the years...with NO problems what-so-ever.

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Tiger, is your puller bigger? it doesn't look like the arms are long enough or spread out far enough to do the job...

supervision

I just had the same problem.  One hole the threads pulled, I worked a 3/8" x 16  tap in a little at a time.Make a thread, grind off the start thread, make a thread, grind more.  You just have to remember, the importance of not letting the tap hit the clutch, too hard.  I thought I was screwed!!! and it turned out to be easy to fix.  In my opinion, the most important part, when you go back to trying to get it off, is how much care you care you take in getting the puller centered and applying pressure as straight as possible.
" border="0

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on April 16, 2012, 10:39:25 AM
Tiger, is your puller bigger? it doesn't look like the arms are long enough or spread out far enough to do the job...

I use a 6" three arm puller that I bought from Princess Auto several years ago and it works just fine  8) Make sure it is centered correctly!!!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

supervision

Tiger, it's good to know that level of puller will do the job, they are not too expensive, compared to the next step up from their, those with the auto-centering spool, are mega dollar.
" border="0

carotman

Well, the 3 arm puller I got wasn't going to work. The arm kept getting apart as I applied force on the center bolt. They hit the edge of the flywheel and the center part of the puller just goes away as the arms spread...

I ended up tapping the holes with a 3/8 NC16 tool. I just need to get good graded bolts this time and I hope I'll be ok.

If this doesn't work, I'll just grind a slot through the flywheel and get another one from you Tiger :D

supervision

The tap worked, that's good!  Sure seams, crazy, taping a blind short hole, only like f threads.  I rotate the puller until the most run-out is gone, takes effort, but you need your best shot, at breakin that taper lose.    
" border="0

Rick G

tiger, I'm amazed that you got it off with a three arm puller , the ones I have would scare me .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: Rick G on April 17, 2012, 03:16:34 AM
tiger, I'm amazed that you got it off with a three arm puller , the ones I have would scare me .

??? Why Rick ??

Once I have it on centre, I pull it up by hand and then use an impact wrench...pull it real tight. I then take a 2lb hammer, give the thing a decent whack and VOILA!!! Put an old rug, bath towel, etc on the floor to cushion the flywheel and stop springs, etc rolling away!!!

Please Note. The flywheel WILL fly from the shaft!!! Keep your legs and feet away to the side!!!

The Prophet of Doom

Just for those newbs that are scared about the thought of flying flywheels means they are going to loose a limb or something, it flies off, but only travels a few inches.  It's not really a safety issue.
Now using compressed air to loosen a brake caliper piston - that's a different story entirely

Lucky

I'm with Rick on this one, but i ditched my 3 arm puller years ago after a couple of failed attempts (way before i owned an XZ).  I guess it comes down to being comfortable with the tools your used to.

I think i also have this fear of warping or cracking a gear in half, especialy if it's wide. not that the flywheel is like that though...

Tiger, have you ever used the rigid puller?

Hartless

I have tries using a three arm pulley but the arms on mine are too fat. I cannot get it between the case and th flywheel to secure it to the fly wheel. The nice thing about the other kind is you can hold on to it and make sure it doesn't fly everywhere
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"