News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Flywheel removal problem

Started by carotman, April 15, 2012, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supervision

google proto cone pullers, then look at img.   
" border="0

Protonus

Quote from: supervision on April 17, 2012, 10:44:54 AM
  google proto cone pullers, then look at img.   

I'm very picky about who I let pull my cone....

1982 with full '83 fairings

Rikugun

But not so much where you drop a nut  :D  ;D  :o
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Hartless

But then you have to be careful you don't bust that nut...
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Protonus

supervision

Problem is, I'd have sell my Vision, to afford that puller.
" border="0

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on April 17, 2012, 09:36:35 AM
Tiger, have you ever used the rigid puller?

Yep. I actually have a brand new one, still in its box...but I prefer the three armed one 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

carotman

It finally came out with the center puller! Bolted those 3/8-16 bolts, used the impact wrench on the center bolt until it was very tight then a good hit with a hammer set the flywheel loose!

I took pictures of what it looks like. If you guys see anything that needs immediate attention, let me know. It's high res pictures so you can see in details what's going on!

The previous owner (or previous mechanic) banged the flywheel center pretty hard in order to remove it. You can also see the too short bolts. To my surprise, they were a bit hard to remove.

This is what it looked like before I removed the bolts attaching the clutch to the flywheel. The top "cap" rotated around the clutch a bit.

Once it's removed:

And the starter clutch itself with the cap centered and cleaned.

I'm going to reuse the M8*1.25 threads that were originally intended for the puller, is there something wrong with that?

Rick G

Tiger , my concern with a three arm is the tendency to pop off when loaded . It may be the pullers I have used were not as good a fit as yours, But the one that is big enough is   too bulky at the tips to get behind  the rotor. the smaller one does not have big enough hooks , to get a good grip .
Aside from that , a three jaw is putting the stress on the out side of the rotor and Yamaha's puller puts in at the hub.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

It's black magic! he's a which! A which i tell ya!!  Raises Visions from the dead he does!!! :D :D :D :o ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Protonus

carotman, can you post larger pictures on a slower server please?  Thanks!  j\k ;-)
I'm surprised your housing isn't cracked! Mine looked a lot less mangled than that and was cracked badly.  There is evidence of all three puller bolts having hit the housing too.  I'm concerned about the rotation of that outer shell it was more rotated than mine and mine was cracked. IIRC it's staked to the body you might want to tighten those points.  The other guys are much more well versed in these jobs then me, but, I'd try and swap that housing and flywheel if you aren't in a rush. 

carotman

Haha, sorry for the server speed :p

The marks on the clutch housing are from when I re-tapped the puller bolts.

The bike started slowly and made grinding noises too. I'm surprised the starter clutch wasn't loose or anything... The sound must come from the starter then I suppose.

since the clutch isn't cracked, I'll just reuse it I guess. I'll try to stake the outer housing too so it doesn't rotate.

Rick G

Lucky , I've suspected this all along!  I wish I could find another Vision around here, let alone 22!! sheesh. :D :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike