Super unleaded fuel - cause of conk out??

Started by biaggi, October 20, 2003, 02:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biaggi

Boy does this bike try your patience at times!!! >:(

I got caught short yesterday so had to fill up with super unleaded fuel. This morning on the way to work twice the bike cut out as if it run out of fuel. I came to a standstill and electrics were working fine. I turned it off, left if for a minute then it started again (needed choke) and carried on.

After the second time I dropped the speed down to 60 odd and took it easy and it was fine. Each time it happened after about 20 miles. It was very cold this morning - what are these like for carb icing?

Would the higher octane fuel cause this or coincidence??

Blake

I sometimes vary between super unleaded (92,93?) and regular (87) and never had a problem..   gas stations around here have a habit of running out of 87 on wednesdays (tankers come in thursdays ive figured out)..  but what can ya expect from a back woods mountain town.  

but nope.. no problem what so ever with the different fuel..  infact..a lot of people here i know only use the higher octane fuel..and enver had problems..

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

GAJim

How well do you trust this gas station..sounds like a little H2o in your fuel.  I choose higher octane when price is down.

biaggi

Yes I reckon it could have been a little too much water and as a result carb icing. On the way home (afternoon) it was good as gold.

I've reverted to my usual supply and octane rating and I'll see how that goes over the next few days. If it continues I'll get some fuel stabiliser - works wonders on my R1 during the winter (suffers real bad from icing) so should do the trick on the Vision.

Rick G

I would do two things, first I'd drain the float bowls )catch  as much of the gas as you can ) and inspect the gas for water or dirt or other contaminents. Second,( if  your bike has a kreemed tank don't do this)  add a dewaterung agent asap. water dosen't go away , you will have to help it along!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike