(hard start fixed) Fork seals leaking ?

Started by 83 550rk, May 10, 2012, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

83 550rk

I got her running finally and rode for abit, but the choke lever doesnt work correctly. I will try and use choke but when I do I see the cable and it looks like it wants to pop out when I move it to the left. She will start but shes not fun to try to, once running gotta work the throttle to get her up but once shes does warm up shes good.

Edit: did not want to clutter up the forums by making a new topic, fork seals leaking ?

Lucky

It's actualy an 'enricher' not a choke, but we'll call it that.  when you adjust your choke, losen the philips holding the end of the cable housing at the carb. make sure the lever is all the way to the left (off) and that the lever end of the cable housing is all the way in.  pull the end at the carb all the way back so there is no slack in the wire core, tighten the clamp.

you will notice that there is more travel in the lever than in the cable, so a lot of your 'adjustment' at the lever does nothing. keep this in mind when using your choke.  some Visions need a long time to warm up & incremental changes in choke.  some just warm up quick & you can turn the choke off. these aren't like CV carbs...

make sure your pilots are well tuned & your carbs are clean & well synqed.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

83 550rk

Ok will do thanks lucky, atm she needs a car to help :(

Lucky

a car to jump start it?  if so, WARNING: do not jump the bike with the car running. you'll fry the charging system...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

83 550rk

Only if she sits for a couple days theres enough to almost get her started but just not enough. And I remember that from the other topic I had before it went poof along with my post count :)

83 550rk

small ride around the block and noticed my fork seals may be leaking...

id say thats leaking, how to go about this from here ?

vadasz1

Quote from: Lucky on May 10, 2012, 04:11:29 PM
It's actualy an 'enricher' not a choke, but we'll call it that.  when you adjust your choke, losen the philips holding the end of the cable housing at the carb. make sure the lever is all the way to the left (off) and that the lever end of the cable housing is all the way in.  pull the end at the carb all the way back so there is no slack in the wire core, tighten the clamp.

you will notice that there is more travel in the lever than in the cable, so a lot of your 'adjustment' at the lever does nothing. keep this in mind when using your choke.  some Visions need a long time to warm up & incremental changes in choke.  some just warm up quick & you can turn the choke off. these aren't like CV carbs...

make sure your pilots are well tuned & your carbs are clean & well synqed.

--Lucky

Lucky: I think you meant to say that the enricher is in the off position when to the RIGHT not left, correct?
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

83 550rk

Choke is fixed now fork seals leaking

Rick G

There not leaking,  That's called drooling ! :o :o :o
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

83 550rk

Lol ok so if its gushing bad then they are bad ?

Rick G

Their bad!! ;D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

83 550rk

Thats all you had to say... Im new to bikes

83 550rk

Anything else I should replace at the same time ?

Night Vision

your fork oil could use freshening  ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

83 550rk

Sat for 10 years so yes it could..  ;D

The Prophet of Doom

Since you are pulling your forks, might as well do the steering head bearings - only adds about 1 hour to the job and well worth while

83 550rk

Ok where to find them ? Found fork seals for 11 for the pair

fret not

Tapered roller steering head bearings at Pyramid or any number of other places, usually the same places that carry the fork seals.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

I have the box mine came in 12 years ago !!It reads "Parts Plus ssy500" it came from K&L supply co. part # is 31-5833   steering bearing set SSy500. Most motorcycle shops can get it , or try the internet . South Seattle Yamaha has great prices!
Rick G

Tiger

I get my fork seals, dust covers, front brake pads & steering head bearings from...

Never a problem with them... 8)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!