News:

Main Menu

carb cleaning

Started by calipanda, June 14, 2012, 12:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calipanda

So I want to have my carbs removed and cleaned as well as to check my fuel lines, fuel filter, etc. However, I don't have the space to do it myself so I am going to take it to a mechanic. What information and parts/supplies (I always buy my own parts) do I need to insure that the work is done properly? I also need to have my tires mounted (and I'm going to have them change the rear brake bar bolt as well, are there any specific instructions I would need for that? I want to get my V in top shape for riding this summer!

QBS

Have you already located a mechanic you trust to be V knowledgable?

calipanda

I hope so, the guy advertises himself as a vintage Japanese motorcycle mechanic

QBS

Suggest that you pointedly, but with sensativity and diplomacy, verify that he is V knowledgable.  A V, by its' age, may be considered a vintage Japanese bike by some,...however, rest assured that its' carburettors are very unique and quite unlike any others found on other "vintage" Japanese bikes. 

calipanda

I will do that, but what if he is not? I figure not many are, as you pointed out, but what other options do I have?

QBS

Look for Visionarys close to you that may have the abilities you need.  Or, if possible, remove the carbs yourself and inquire on this board as to who amongst us performs the service you need.  Your vintage Japanese mechanic should be able to handle the bolt replacement and the tire replacement.  If you can remove and install the wheels yourself, you can take them to a Yamaha or even Honda dealer to have new tires installed.

Rick G

I'm still doing them, Pm me for instruction as to shipping.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Visions, as machines, are not completely foriegn (pun!) to motorcycle techs.  most here are shadetree (meaning not profesionals, sit back down!). The brake bar bolts, for instance, are the same system used on similar era hondas, & they are subject to the same issues. same goes for stators.

Our Carbs are no different in basic design than a 2bbl chevy carb. any motorcycle tech that fixes his older truck should be able to rebuild carbs (but have Rick do it!)

The big differences between us and them is that we know the nuances of this vehicle, they have the experience that you may not, they get the big bucks, but you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Look for an OLDER tech who specializes in asian vintage, Talk to them, let them know that if they have a question about something, to let you know, you can find the answer.  if they are not open to this conversation, keep looking.

Also, provide them access to your service manual.
when you find a good one, invite them to join our Forum!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

calipanda

Well I just moved into a new place and now I have the space to work on my bike. So I am going to attempt to remove the carbs on my own, with advice from RoV and my trusty Hayne's manual. After I have removed my carb I will get in touch with Rick to have him work on it. Thanks for all the help and tips fellas.

QBS

Your Haynes is your new BFF.

Rick G

I remove the fuel pump and then take the carbs out the left side (as you sit on the bike) its not necessary but it makes it a bit easier.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike