News:

Main Menu

82 carb jetting

Started by hydra10, June 15, 2012, 07:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

I've heard of simple green and 409 being used as carb cleaners. Yamaha makes water based carb cleaner, too. But I will stick with Berrymans , I just invested in a gallon (30.00 ) to top up my dip tank. At this point I'm not interested in experimenting with various carb dips.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

hydra10

Alright, got the accelerator pump working, the ball weight was stuck, used a pin and voila! Soaked em in my ultrasonic cleaner for four sets of 8 minutes with heat and lots of simple green. Blew out all the passages with an air compressor after. If that doesn't loosen whats in there, I don't know what will. Working on the other carb at the moment. Hopefully that cures my woes.

fret not

The Berryman's Carb Cleaner I have is not the same as it used to be.  Doesn't smell the same and doesn't cut dirt and grime as well either.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

I'm not referring to Berrymans carb spray . But to the dip , which comes in 1 , 2 and 5 gallon cans. It depends which state you buy it in . I bought a 2 gallon in WA. and it was labeled"Not for sale in the State of California" By that statement,I knew it would be good stuff and it was.
The carb dip in AZ. seems to be the same quality.
A while back our local Auto Zone  got a shipment of carb spray, that was intended for CA., it cleaned nothing , it was a thin red oil. We returned it and requested  the AZ. product.

No offence to those in CA. But you could not pay me to live there, for this and many other reasons. (I lived there for 37 years, so I know the place)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

Good work hydra! That's the item.  ;)

fret not

Yeah, I was referring to the dip, as sold in California.  So that's what happened to it.  (SIGH ::) ??? :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Lucky

I use straight mineral spirits in my heated ultrasonic. It stinks though. Sinci I do small engine repair, it keeps away those pesky onlookers and children! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Lucky on September 07, 2012, 12:27:23 AM
I use straight mineral spirits in my heated ultrasonic. It stinks though. Sinci I do small engine repair, it keeps away those pesky onlookers and children! Lol!

Follow this advice at your peril.  I have a friend who was doing this with small machine parts.  It exploded and took off half his face and both his hands. 

Here is one ultrasonic machine's warning...

What cleaning solution shouldn't I use?
Flammables or solutions with low flash points should never be used. The energy released by cavitation is converted to heat and kinetic energy, generating high temperature gradients in the solution, and can create hazardous conditions with flammable liquids. Acids, bleach and bleach by-products should generally be avoided, but may be used with indirect cleaning in a proper indirect cleaning container, such as a glass beaker, and appropriate care. Acid and bleach will damage stainless steel tanks, and/or create hazardous conditions.

Lucky

Interesting. Mine actually said in the instructions that methylated spirits & solvents should only be used with proper ventilation. (inferring that it was ok to use them) before reading that I had planned on using simple green. My machine is UL listed. I wonder if it passed more stringent criteria?

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

The Prophet of Doom

What can I say? I've looked at the manuals for probably a dozen ultrasonic leaners and ALL of them have warnings about not using flammables and solvents.  Yours must have very special design, or you misread the instructions and are going to blow yourself up.  If you kill yourself can I have your cafe vision?  For the rest of us I thing the warnings still apply  ...

Harbourfreight
Warning: use only lukewarm water.  do not use penetrating oils in the ultrasonic cleaner as they may damage the cleaner and any materials being cleaned.  never use volatile solvents, gasoline, or other flammable liquids.

Labequip
Do not ever use alcohol, gasoline or flammable solutions.  Doing so could cause a fire or explosion.  Use only water-based solutions.

Cole Palmer
Never use ultrasonic cleaners with flammable solvents.

Greymills
This ultrasonic cleaner is intended for use only with non-flammable cleaning fluids compatible with the stainless steel cleaning tank. NEVER use a flammable or combustible fluid in this parts cleaner. Using a flammable or combustible fluid in this equipment may produce a hazardous condition that can result in property damage or injury to personnel.
This warning also applies to non-flammable fluids that have become contaminated with flammable or combustible materials.

I won't go on

Rikugun

Isn't methylated spirits more like denatured alcohol whereas mineral spirits is a petroleum distallate? Either way I wouldn't feel comfortable using them but to each their own. The fumes alone are enough of a deterrent.

I'm sure there are several HF models but this one says several times to use water only. I would think all there models probably carry the same warnings though. I saw no mention of any other accepted liquid to be used in the water tank.
http://images.harborfreight.com/manuals/3000-3999/3305.pdf
See number 5 and (in bold) 7 under "General and Specific Safety Precautions". Also, under "Inspection and Maintenance" it warns not to use flammable or corrosive liquids to clean the water tank.

Anyone using flammable solvents should keep in mind these things get very hot. The heat function some models employ (as far as I know) is only to give the process a jump start. The cavitation process involved supplies a lot of heat all by itself. The one I used had no auto shut off and when I checked on it at some point there was steam coming off the liquid. If the auto shut off feature is the only thing standing between you and disaster, I'd be certain your garage port and shed insurance are paid up. ???  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan