News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Backwards Intake Manifolds

Started by Jimustanguitar, July 06, 2012, 08:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

I'm running the Vision and was about to begin synchronizing the carbs so that I could adjust everything else. After warming up the bike, I scoped out the manifolds for the vacuum ports I'll be using with the manometer and what do you know... the PO has the front and back intake manifolds flipped. The front manifold has one port and the rear has two... I'm ashamed to say that I didn't notice this last night when I installed the carbs per Lucky's diagram ( http://www.xz550.com/carbvac.html )...

After thinking about it though, the fuel pump and petcock run off of fluctuation in vacuum anyway (i.e. there isn't a "flow" that operates them, they use the same pressure and fluctuation that makes the vacuum needle bounce to work) does it really matter which is which? Has anyone noticed a problem running them reversed?

Obviously, I'll put them back the right way, I'm just excited to get everything dialed in tonight. Plus it's at operating temp and I don't have the daylight left to let it cool anyway :) I'll probably have to resync them after taking the carbs off and putting them back anyway, right? Any thoughts about whether to leave it or not for the time being?

Thanks!

Rick G

Having them reversed makes no difference , In fact only one (I believe the rear , but don't quote me, is available. I have modified the one available to work on the other position. I would not worry about it.

If you sync the carbs , they will be very close and will work with minimum or no adjustment, after re installation.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike