News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Question

Started by calipanda, July 12, 2012, 07:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calipanda

Hey guys,

I picked up a pair of mirrors with built-in speakers, and it came with a amp as well. My question is, where do I connect the amp? Directly to battery? To the fuse block?

I have this fuse block:
http://www.cyclenutz.com/Centech-FB-6-ATC-Fuse-Block_p_58.html

Mirror w/ built-in speakers and amp:
http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Motorcycle-Mirrors-Speakers-Amplifier/dp/B007N7TU6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342137248&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+mirror+speakers

I am going to place the amp under the seat somewhere...

Re-Vision

Anything that can short out or draw too much current should be protected by a fuse, use one of those extra fuses.  BDC

Jimustanguitar

You'll have to refer to your kit's instructions...

That being said, most (not all) amps and stereos have a battery (constant) wire, a switched (trigger) wire, and a ground. The battery wire will be the larger positive + wire and should connect to the battery with an inline fuse large enough to run the entire unit (as close to the battery as possible is the rule, less than 6" is recommended). The trigger wire will be the smaller positive + wire and should connect to a fused source (usually the ignition switch or an accessory toggle switch) that only has 12v when the key is on and has no voltage when the key is off. A ground is a ground is a ground, connect it straight to the battery and/or the chassis ground point that the battery cable goes to. Most 12v audio problems are related to crappy grounds, especially in cars with amps in the trunk.

The trigger wire will turn the amp on and off with your key so that it doesn't draw on your battery when you're not using it. The trigger wire is just a trigger though, all of the power that the amp consumes comes through the larger battery wire.. Be sure to read carefully, it is not uncommon for the trigger wire to be a switched ground (-) instead of a (+) 12v.

Of course, it's possible that this isn't applicable to your amp at all. You will have to take a look at the wiring diagram that came with yours to know for sure. Out of curiosity, what did you buy?

Good luck!

Jimustanguitar

You should modify the subject of your post with a relevant name so that others can search for it in the future.

Also, people tend to click on more specific subjects, you might receive better help by doing so.

Again, good luck!