News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

83 Carbs

Started by Re-Vision, July 13, 2012, 12:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of using 83 carbs. I know no one wants to work on 83 carbs but will they provide less problems compared to 82's?  I have three sets and I don't know whether to try and use them or not.   BDC

kwells

Are you trying to put them on an 82? I believe the 82 tank doesn't allow them to fit under there.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rikugun

With slightly larger venturis (36 vs. 34) I wonder if the '83 doesn't make slightly more power up top at the expense some responsiveness in the low to midrange. Aren't the header pipes sized differently on the '83 to work with their carbs? What kind of exhaust will you be running? Also, is there a return line on the 83 fuel pump that would require a work around if an 82 tank/petcock were used?

I only own and have rebuilt 82 carbs so I can't speak as to which ones are more of a PITA but my guess would be the '83 with their unusual pilot circuit arrangement.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

You can fit '83 carbs on to an '82 motor...(I actually have '82 carbs on the '83 motor fitted in 'The Mistress', an '82).

You will also need the '83 airbox and an '83 top *engine mount (*which has a bigger 'hole' in it to accommodate '83 carbs/airbox).

With '83 carbs working with an '82 gas tank, you need to cap off the return line spigot.

Does any of this really make a significant difference?? I've ran both and do not believe so...however, this is just my opinion and like a$$holes, we all have them ;D :D :D :D... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

83 carbs have all the problems as 82 carbs , plus  one more, there are so few of them that there's not much in spares available. ( I have nothing for them, if  a body comes up unusable , I'll have a very unhappy customer) Also , the float pivot pins are a much tighter fit in the 83s and this increases the risk of breaking a float pin pillar.
Since you have 3 sets  your covered , go ahead and use them.

In my opinion YIC was trying to fix a problem that did not exist. They had a rash of performance problems with the 82 models, they felt that the carbs must have a design flaw. The bikes sat in the warehouse for quite awhile and the carbs gummed up,plus they were over priced , Kawasaki  550's were cheaper and a bit faster
YIC  paid dealers under warranty to dip the carbs, on new bikes, but many just made the warranty claim and sold the bikes  as is. ( I could tell you horror stories, about some of the crap that went on, back then) So, many  never ran right from the get go!
I've ridden 83s and can find little difference from 82s , I seem to remember that there rated at one more HP.
Actually I have a set of 83 carbs I'm doing now . But I have warned the owner that I have no  replacement bodies or ant other parts. He sent kits along with them and this will help (I hope)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

I'm sure you can modify a 82 top motor mount  to clear the 83 air box . I seem to remember some one doing just that in the past.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

I don't think there better, but there not worse ,just a bit different from the 82s,  as you have them , I would go ahead and use them .  The low speed adjusts differently , its more progressive.

The odds are that you will get at least 2 good sets of carbs , out of the three. Plus some very valuable spare parts. There are very few 82 parts that are compatible with 83 carbs and vica-versa. The bodies and float assemblies are most valuable, if you need them. If your going to use the 83 carbs, I would hoard  the left overs pieces, in case you need them!
Rick G