News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

82/83 Head Gasket interchange

Started by Jimustanguitar, August 08, 2012, 01:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

Hey guys...

I ordered a pair of head gaskets for my '82 only to be informed (4 business days later) that they weren't available and I was being issued a refund. I've found a few other places that do have said gaskets in stock, but I stumbled upon a few posts that I wanted clarification on first.

Several people mentioned that the '82 gasket is mostly paper and that the '83 gasket is made of metal. Are there any differences besides that? I'm inclined to order the '83 set if there aren't any differences that would cause a problem.

Several people have also mentioned getting a copper set, but I haven't been able to source one. Any suppliers still have them? (if so, I'll add it to the parts and upgrades section)

Thanks!

Rick G

The 82 gaskets are certainly not Paper. They are wire screen, impregnated, with a coat of graphite ,I  haven't examined one in person. I have a set of Cometic head gaskets , which are copper. I like these, because they are reusable (after annealing). They request they be coated with Gask-a-cinch or Copper coat before use. The '60's Triumph Cub had a copper gasket and that was the procedure with it.  Cometic may not make that gasket any more but ,if I can get the copper sheet of the correct thickness, can make them. If I was desperate I would doctor up a used one and re use it. I have kept all the head gaskets I have removed, just in case.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jefferson

Somewhere I came up with some info about the 82's having shorter cyl's and thicker gaskets while the 83 has taller cylinders and thinner gaskets. Never measured anything to confirm, but there are different numbers for the different years gaskets.

Jeff

rm97

Quote from: Rick G on August 08, 2012, 03:18:30 PM
The 82 gaskets are certainly not Paper. They are wire screen, impregnated, with a coat of graphite and a  haven't examined one in person. I have a set of Cometic head gaskets , which are copper. I like these, because they are reusable (after annealing). The request they be coated with Gask-a-cinch or Copper coat before use. The '60's Triumph Cub had a copper gasket and that was the procedure with it.  Cometic may not make that gasket any more but ,if I can get the copper sheet of the correct thickness, can make them. If I was desperate I would doctor up a used one and re use it. I have kept all the head gaskets I have removed, just in case.

Do you have any idea what that thickness might be? I would certainly be interested in making my own, reusable head gasket. The new ones I find on the internet are expensive, especially for a one-time use part.

Jimustanguitar

I emailed Cometic ( aka shopengineparts.com ) about copper gaskets and they replied that they still have the pattern and would be happy to make them. $24.24 will buy you a new copper head gasket! The price of 2 is about $5 more than a single OEM one, that's amazing.

He did mention that there are two different bores, an 81 and an 89 mm. I'm assuming that the larger bore is for TDub's racer. I'll measure mine to be sure.

If you search for Cometic, there are only a handful of results, and one of them does specify the material thickness. I'll also ask when I place my order.

Rick G

The 81 mm is for bores up to 4th over , the 89 would be for race bikes with JE pistons , John Clemmons can verify this.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

rm97

Thanks for finding and posting this source for head gaskets! I was just about to buy two OEM ones, but now I can put just a little more money towards other engine parts. I'll let you guys know how they work out for me once I get this engine back together.

Thanks, Rory

pullshocks