News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Little venting about my V and the weekend

Started by sunburnedaz, August 13, 2012, 12:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburnedaz

Grr where to start, she is running hot even at night 7/8ths of the sweep or so. It takes longer to get that hot at night but she does get there. Still looking for a solution if there is one.

Cleaning the cooling system cost me some extra money since the waterpump cover and tubes had to be replaced even though I was careful.

Damn near hit some big road debris last night on my way home from a ride, got in the truck and went back to pick up the debris since it was a hazard and a friend tried to chastise me about it instead of calling this number to have the road crew pick it up. I didn't know about this number and it was 3am and dark and so was the debris. Little mad someone bitched at me for trying to do the right thing.

Last but not least and what I am the most mad about, some gas spilled on the V's tank due to me putting a little more than usual in and the heat and now the paint has bubbled and that means I am gonna have to get some painting stuff put together way sooner than I had planned. I was orginally going to do it in the winter when I would have another a track bike ready for paint.

Thank you for letting me vent. :-)
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Rick G

Spray can paint will do that every time !  Have you tried water wetter in the Radiator?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

fret not

Gasoline expands as it rises in temperature, so if you filled the tank really full and just parked the bike that could be the reason,  but if you drove a couple miles after filling you should have used enough gas to keep that from happening.   More probably the trapped air in the tank expanded and pushed the gas out.  Have you drilled the filler neck?

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

sunburnedaz

Nope gonna try the water wetter.

The worst part about the paint is that was a paint job done by a professional shop by the PO. They did not get enough clear coat on the right side of the tank as it was just one section that did it vs everywhere else the gas got.

Yes the filler neck is drilled but it was the fact it was a short ride back home I though more would have been sucked out than there was. It was my mistake I have done that once before where I filled it a little full then then group didn't get moving quick enough so it did the same thing but i was able to catch that and get it cleaned up quickly. But this time it happened while I was inside so the gas got a chance to sit there. Its everywhere that the clear coat was thin that got bubbled.

I am ok with it though as the PO's shop did not do a good enough job as the paint is flaking off around the filler opening and you can see some rust they didn't clean. So I am gonna strip the Red Kote out of the tank and do a POR15 job and then repaint the tank using some high quality PPG stuff.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

PwrManDan

Quote from: sunburnedaz on August 13, 2012, 01:09:54 AM

I am ok with it though as the PO's shop did not do a good enough job as the paint is flaking off around the filler opening and you can see some rust they didn't clean. So I am gonna strip the Red Kote out of the tank and do a POR15 job and then repaint the tank using some high quality PPG stuff.

I did the Red Kote and was not happy with the results.  Please let me know how go about stripping and how well you fare with the process.

I spent three days preparing for the Red Kote (pea gravel, bb's, throw it in the dryer etc) hoping it would take care of a pin sized hole and no go.

I appreciate that you did the right thing, had I been in that same situation I may have called the local authorities...but that has failed to produce results before.  I can imagine how I would feel if knowing an accident, injury, or death could have been avoided by the simple action of removing it.  Thank you for being human.

Rikugun

Fill up one of those super soakers and strap it to the fender facing the radiator. You'll have to rig up a remote trigger obviously but whenever the temp starts to climb, give the radiator a couple of blasts and let the evaporative effect do it's thing.   :P  :laugh:
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Jimustanguitar

Do you guys fill up the tank on the center or side stand? I've had bad luck with both. You get it close to full and when you're off the stand and upright again it's a little fuller than you thought... Kind of frustrating trying to fill it all the way even if the neck is drilled. Lately (when she still ran, that is) I was just putting in enough gas to submerge the arch in the tank.

I've gotten off the bike and pulled crap out of the road, but hauling it away with a pickup is a step beyond my diligence.

Hopefully today is treating you better, despite the fact that it is a monday.

sunburnedaz

I fill on the side stand just usually not as much as I did Friday.  ;D
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

Its the shape of the tank, just don't fill it quite so full. Practice make  perfect.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

I fill my tank from the center stand but I've tried both. The shape of the tank and subsequent position of the fill hole makes it extremely difficult to monitor the progress while refueling. By the time you see the fuel and let go of the pump handle it's overfilled.  :(   As Rick says practice does help. After you've overfilled it once or twice you become very cautious.  ;D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jefferson

How are you doing on your hot running issue? Did the water wetter do any good for you? Something that helped my son's Ducati was Engine Ice and I have heard good things about Evans waterless coolant too. Hoping to hear a good report on status.