Carburettor rebuild (overhaul) kit

Started by jag84u, August 22, 2012, 12:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jag84u

Hi. Where can I get a rebuild kit for my XZ?  I am in Australia.  Kind regards Roger (jag84u)

Rick G

Sires Conic is a Canadian company that sells on eBay. They have kits. I have reservations on the kits . I won't use the jets . I buy new jets from a  Yamaha or Suzuki dealer .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Jimustanguitar

Do you have damaged or missing parts, or do you just want to have everything on hand when you open them up?

Rikugun

Quote from: Rick G on August 22, 2012, 12:47:58 AM
Sires Conic is a Canadian company that sells on eBay. The have kits. I have reservations on the kits . I won't use the jets . I buy new jets from a  Yamaha or Suzuki dealer .

Rick, what reservations do you have about the jets supplied with the kits?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

Kevin , thanks for the follow up post !

My experience with all carb kits is the the jets are cruder and many are not drilled accurately . They are not  the same as the Mikuni jets. I have been bitten on the ass by after market kits . The numbers are some times so crude that you can't read them with a jewelers loop.  Some of the needles and seats leave something to be desired too. When I rebuild carbs,I reuse what  I can and make my own gaskets. Many of the original components are still serviceable. But as time goes on more and more need replacements. You really need to inspect everything very carefully , to be sure its still useable.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jag84u

Thank you all for your prompt relies.

Will pull the carbs apart and check everything. 

Kind regards, Roger

pullshocks

I notice the kit vendor is claiming the parts are now alcohol resistant.  Seems like a plus.

Jimustanguitar

I hate that alcohol soluble brass!

Just kidding. I'm sure it does make a difference on some of the more delicate rubber pieces.

Drikk14

You can get them from the companies website for 89 dollars.

www.siriusconinc.com

Claims no ebay fees so you get them for cheaper.
1983 Vision, Work in Progress

tmyth79

I ordered these kits and have had only one problem with them, both of hte accelerator pump diaphjragms leaked around the post. Other then that they have been working good, i did however use yamaha needles and seats because new ones were already on hand.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, for our families and friends depend on it. Safety always comes first!

Jimustanguitar

I would notify them that you're having problems (assuming that its actually a bad part). It's their obligation to supply you with working parts (assuming that they were described and sold that way).

Plus, if they have a manufacturing process that's out of tolerance, they would probably want to know about it.

Cdnlouie

Email Martin at Sirius Sonic and he will replace them.  Good guy to deal with even if the prices are a bit hefty these days (It beats not being able to get them).  I have never had any of them leak in my kits?  Make sure that the sealing surface is clean all the way around or it can leak out by the gasket/screws, etc. and then appear near the post.  No overtorquing either on the screws.  Let me know if you have any known issues because I do drop by and see him from time to time.