Vision carb kits

Started by bikehandle, January 28, 2003, 05:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikehandle

Afew days ago I sent a e-mail to Sirius Consolidated the company that distributes Keyster carb kits, this was there reply .
 ?Sir, if you can send us a Micro fiche or and old carb I will ask Keyster to start making them... It may take a few months, but if there is a demand they will produce them for around $15.00 - $17.00 US/each
Thanks Martin
Is any body interested enough to pick up the ball on this and either provide a couple of carbs or sacrifice a microfiche for the greater good of the group of vision riders of the world?
This is there e-mail- siriusconinc@sprint.ca

Sirius Consolidated Inc
49 hillbrook Cres
Kitchener, Ontario
N2N 1J4 ?Canada
Martin,was my contact dont know last name.
Remember, every time some thing is discontinued for these we all lose.
Bikehandle
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Cdnlouie

Hey, Kitchener Ontario!  That place is just 45 minutes from me in Toronto.  Those Canadians love making things for American dollars.  Tell them to do it for 15-17 Cdn. and then we have a decent deal.  Currently, the exchange is 1.58 to buy one US. dollar or about .64 cents for each Cdn. dollar.  What would they include in the kit and how much demand do they need?

bikehandle

Louie

the kits i've  seen from them have been complete, jets gaskets, springs,needle&seat, air screws, every thing for a complete rebuild,
  If you are in there backyard could you give them a call and see what you could find out?
  It would be in everyones best intrest to get some thing going and I will give all the support I can from this end. Right now I'm looking for a microfiche to send them,to get started.
Bikehandle ::)

Cdnlouie

Well, for the price you quoted that would be outrageously good news.  Somewhere along the line it will probably take some commitment from a solid club like an order of say 500 kits.  You know there are about 250 members on this site.  The originals are pretty sturdy but they are getting seedy after 20 years.  I am bidding on a set of carbs on ebay, if I get them cheap enough I could have some pieces for them to use as pattern.

We would need to confirm if there is some standardization to include both the 82 & 83 model carbs.  I think the 83 has a different gasket (Lucky could confirm that).  I will leave this up to Lucky for comment.  It would not cost them much to put the paper gaskets for both and thus cover two models.

Lucky

The gaskets are aesy, I makem all the time, the other stuff is all 'off the shelf', that is to say, readily available, even if it has to be ordered. Thhe problem is everything is seperate and in diff spots, so you have to find sources all over town for one "kit".   there is nothing interchangable between 82 & 83 carbs, save for poss some rubber bits, hoses and o-rings.

I have pretty much a complete list of everything needed for an 82, using the latest model. (there are 3 versions of the 82 carb i've identified so far).  It's been so long since anyone has needed an 83 rebuilt, that it was before I started keeping records of 83 parts.  

one other thing.. I would prefer to change the throttle shaft seals when rebuilding a carb, but the throttle plate screws are staked on.  removing them would require replacement, which I haven't been able to find. (you don't want to reuse the old ones and risk them backing out and getting into a cylinder)

The carb dip seems to have no effect on these seals, so when I rebuild, I leave 'em in.  repositing the throttle plates back in the bores is a tricky thing, i'm not sure a novice would want to deal with it, but I think the seals and replacement screws should be included if possable.

I'm sorry I do not have actual old parts to contribute, save old 82 gasketts, but I can put together a list of part sizes and dimentions if you get a go ahead from the company.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bikehandle

I'm going to try to call siris tomorrow if I can find a number and see what they rquire to send to keyster. like I said the keyster kits are very complete. When I talk to a live person insted of e-mail I'll post results
Bikehandle

bikeseamus

I'll loan a complete 83 carb to this effort. I wonder how or if it differs from the 84 and 85 Euro models. Maybe Humber knows or can find out. You out there buddy?

Humber

I don't know, my friend has both, your 82USA and eurpean 83. He couldn't find any differences exept from the thickness of throttle valves. Your USA are a little bit thicker. Stilll, european versions don't have this air filter element, and moreover there were no improvements such as Air mod or sth else (RK carbs completely unknown in EU).

When I dissasembled my 82 carb, the hayness (RJ) description completely matched my carb, My friend who lives in a different part of Poland has 84, the carbs are indentical.

Moreover, here in poland a local motorcycle parts dealer has recently started to sell XZ550 needle valves ($4 per piece) and intake manifolds $50 for two of them. I don't know the quality but I will find it out soon....

OUr european bikes are 11U and 11V. I believe that 11U is truly EU model - this 11V was sold probably in GB and I have never found it in here. Next, actually the label on my frame says 81, and of course there is 11U. But all sources I have found didn't mention 81 XZ550. Stil, 85 Xzets are also 11U. Nothing was ever improved or changed.... strange isn't it?? A dinosaur or maybe just a buffalo???? ;D
nie ma podpis?w

bikehandle

I called sirris the distributers for keyster carb kits today and they said kester is constantly looking for new kits to produce. he also said that around two hundred kits would be enough to start makeing them. thats what they would shoot for at least,no commitment on our part.(good news)
He ask if there was a web site he could get pictures of the carbs, I turned him on to luckys site. He said if he couldnt get the info from there he would call me back to set up a way to get a microfiche or a 82&83 carbs to him.
I dont think a lot of you realise just how complete there kits are, Its a hell of a lot more than just gaskets.
Bikehandle

RobTx

Heck, if they were $20.00 I'd buy two, one to use and one to sock away for when they aren't making them again.
Rob

bikeseamus

So it seems that US RK model carbs are one year only one country only? Groan. Guess that puts my new float search in the trash barrel. Thanks for the help anyway Humber. Keep your Buffalo outside, otherwise you will have American Gas problems right there in Europe. OK?

bikehandle

Martin from sirris e-mailed last nigh late he should have a reply by mid week! keep your fingers crossed, he said if keyster goes ahead with this it would take a month or two to go into production, I'm like the others, I would buy several just to have them.

Thanks everyone for your input and support on this project!!!
Bikehandle 8)

Kenny

Update Re: Carb Kits
   Yesterday I sent Martin at Sirius Consolidated inc. a note offering an 83 Carb for Kit research, He phoned today and we firmed up the offer. Martin advises they may have the carb up to three months while developing the Kit.
   I will forward the Carb within the next couple of days, and will keep you up to speed on the results.
           Cheers Ken Stuart        
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

bikehandle

yes!!
thanks, man!
now has any body got a 82 they could send in for a few months?
We just might get this thing to work!
Bikehandle ;D

Cdnlouie

I would be happy to pick up the next set I see on ebay and take it down to them.  If we can keep the ROV wolves from the carbs for the next set I would be happy to pick them up.  No sense in paying top dollar here.

I set up a trade in the Swap Shop also so maybe something will work out.  We might want to ask George in Ottawa about a set.  He has some parts.  X-ray Vision may also have a set among his collectibles.  Come on you Canadians loosen up!

We have a new guy here (JRR) also (I need to find his handle) that I was helping with his web cam who has a set that he might send to me.  Keep shaking the bushes and maybe a set will fall out.

There is a junker here that has a set, I might see how charitable he is feeling these days  ;D.  

bikeseamus

Gee fellas, do you really think we ought to bother with this after Bernie already found out we need to be running 535 Virago carbs? I guess I'm just joking again, please forgive me. I think we ought to get up a collection so we can hire a dream team of shark lawyers to attack Yamaha for stealing Bernie's engineering ideas, whoops! There I go again! Help! I can't stop joking! I better put some nuts and bolts in my shoes, I'm having too much fun.

Bernard Lajoie

Hey!bikesinyourass or is it your head up your ass,they didn't steal any thing I offered info,Iwas just hoping they would  produce a new V with what they saw in which I built(they took a lot of pictures of the  bike & I removed the fuel tank to show the complete fuel sys.set-up)they loved it!As for float valves&seats sudco or carb.parts whs. in ohio.It was funny to see where they applied the carb.set-up you dumb-ass!FTW

bikeseamus

Bernard   Bikesundermyass, actually, for 42 years now. You don't know who I am, what I know, what I've done,where I've been, what I've built, what I've raced, what I've won. Cool the insults and this might go somewhere. I don't doubt your experience. You start out by telling people to wake up, calling them ladies and twits, where's that coming from?  Cocky people are some of my favorite people, as long as they have the competence and experience to back it up. I even like arrogant people that know their stuff, I've learned better from them than almost anybody, and you REALLY find out what somebody is made of when you stand up to or compete against them, but insulting vast numbers of people you've never met is probably not the best way to approach this gig. Tips like the GS pistons help a lot, and I AM gonna get a set of 535 Virago carbs in my hands because they're downdraft CVs, and might be made to work. You have mechanical moxie, I'll listen, try it, and thank you for it, maybe trade you for some of my own, but who needs to be insulted for riding an imperfect bike that they like? Some of my favorite bikes are obsolete oil dripping wobbly junk campared to the latest and greatest. No old biker wouldn't understand THAT. C'mon man!

Lucky

Bernard does this to all the newbies here, well, ok, everyone here. I just ignore him, Personally, I wouldn't care if he had Gods address, if you can't be civil, it's not worth my time.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Cdnlouie

Okay, ricks 83 has agreed to donate a set of carbs for the 82 Vision kit development. ?It will probably take a few weeks for me to get the carb and I will probably take a drive down and see what they do at Sirius. ?I did notice that they are developing a whole line of motorcycle kits even the Honda Dream is there.

They make all their kits available through ebay, so everyone will have easy access to these. ?This will help Lucky's turn around time for carbs if he does not have to make a gasket or go looking for the right jet sizes. ?We might be able to get them to add a jet or two for tweaking.

Thanks to all, ?;)

Louie