Vision carb kits

Started by bikehandle, January 28, 2003, 05:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Has there been any dicussion with them about accelerator pump and fuel pump/regulator diaphrams? these are important parts that ae no longer available and very hard to  match up.  82 & 83 are not the same either.  also, a replacement for the plastic drain tubes would be nice, they break off easily & often.

Gasketts are no big deal, but if I don't have to make them thats fine.

Do they only sell on Ebay? if I use their kits, it'll be a bit hard for me to set a rebuild price, ($60+ shipping now) if i'm never sure how much the kit will end up costing...  i'd rather buy direct, or have the person i'm rebuilding them for, include the kit when they ship me the carbs.  

Just so you know, There isn't much that I replace, other than hoses & gasketts when I rebuild them (mostly due to a lack of a kit) usually all the hard parts are fully cleanable, unless something like a jet is so frozen, that removing it destroys it in the process.

If a kit is available to me when I rebuild I will prefer to use it, but that will be at the customers descretion.  what I charge to include the kit will only be the price of the kit. Period.

If you can get me a deal on the price, then I can pass that directly on to you guys. That way, even if you want to rebuild your own carbs, which is fine with me, you won't have to pay full price for the kit. (let the dealers do that) just send me a check, and i'll order extra's for you.  sound good?

i'm self employyed in a totaly unrelated feild, so I doubt they will accept a tax number from me, so the point might well be moot, but it's worth a try.

what think yee?

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bikehandle

I dont know where this kit thing is going but I do know keyster is easy to get to on the net, the phone # is 515-585-3929 the E-mail for sirius who imports kester kits is siriusconinc@sprint.ca and all kits can be bought on there web site or over the phone (a lot like dell computers!)HA. You dont have to watch Ebay. they sell kester,k and L and napco.
Also air cutoff valves, O rings and other carb parts. Its been my experince(for what thats worth) that new beats old and abused any day so long as all parts replaced are equal in quality to oem. As far as fuel pumps and other parts are involved, first I'm trying to get some kind of response through Sirius from keyster to atempt manufacture of any thing for these.
Saveing a buck or two is allways of great importance in these matters but there will be a day not long down the road where all the money in hell wont be able to buy a part for these bikes
and we need all of the resources that can be found. Not only carbs but all the rest as well.
(disclaimer follows!)
I could be wrong about the proceeding views as they are mine alone. Judge for yourselves.
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Cdnlouie

Here is a sample kit manufactured by this company.  If you choose view sellers other items you can see a lot more kits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2402941431&category=6755

They do not seem to include anything that is difficult to get like the acclerator pump diaphragm, floats, etc.  They include mainly float bowl gasket, needle & seat, air screws, O-rings and jets.

As Lucky has said, these parts are available or doable (gaskets) but not necessarily conveniently located (I.e all in one place).

I am not the one handling this project, "bikehandle" is the initiator, but I do support his idea and hope to get my hands on an 82 carb and deliver it to their plant nearby.  It seems that there is nothing to lose by giving them the means to assemble this kit, and the effort is minimal so I wish them good success in this endeavor.

I would suggest sharing any sources of carb parts and requesting items that you would like to see in the kit and just maybe they might pleasantly surprise us.

Thanks for the interest shown by everybody for this project,

As a famous Canadian celebrity has often said, "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy (The Red Green Show)."

RobTx

I love Red Green!  Some of my favorite moments:  How to change a headlight, with an ax, making a satellite dish out of an umbrella and empty potato chip bags, and making a bicycle out of a car.  Classic stuff.
Rob

Rick G

Thats one thing I really miss, about Minnesota.  We could get Red Green there, here no one knows what your talking about. :-/
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

bikehandle

Just received e-mail from martin at sirius-
keyster is looking forward to receiving the carbs, as soon as martin gets them he is sending them to japan to start the kit makeing process, Its starting to look real good!
 ;D

Kenny

Hi All, Update on 83 Carbs:
       One complete set of 83 carbs sent off to Sirius  Consolidated Inc. for Kit research. I hope within two or three months an overhaul kit will be available.
    On another front I'm reworking our other 83 and so far it has been painted bright yellow,red frame, tank has been lined with Por15, has a fork brace, stainless steel brake lines, and a works shock.
   We are fitting Dorothy's red"n"white 83 with a set of white Krauser bags it will be a solo machine as the bags are mounted just fwd of the stock rear signals.
       That's it from the "freezi'n North".
                         Cheers Ken S.    
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Humber

Kenny, krauser makes a three cases rack for XZ, if you are an European you won't be able to use their 83 carb KIT.

Guys, what about 82?? Is SIrus going to make us 82 Kit??? If not, where I can buy it??? Has someone started to make it???
nie ma podpis?w

bikehandle

yes, the 82 is in the works also, Louie is rounding up the 82s for sirius, to be sent to japan to keyster. I'm also looking for a fuel pump for each year to send. while we are at it we might as well ask for the moon!

Lets hope for the best
expect the worst
and take what ever happens!
Bikehandle
 ;)

Humber

nie ma podpis?w

Kenny

Hi Guys,
         Just a quick note these 83 Carbs are "Totally Complete" and include all parts accel pump,fuel pump, vent filter, fuel hoses. You could bolt these on your bike hook up the fuel petcock,choke cable, throttle cable, vaccum lines and go riding.
    One Question for Humber: Why does he suspect an 83 kit wouldn't fit in a European model ?
                  Cheers Ken S.  
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Lucky

Stupid question:
are they giong to combine the 82 and 83 kits or will they be seperate?

Humber

Because there were no modifications on carbs in EU models. Every year has your 82 carb. That's why I would like them to make full kit for 82
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

I guess we complained louder than you did...

Humber

I don't know, I Have had Vision for 3 years. Everything is rather OK, but at the end of the last season I noticed that my needle valves don't seal properly.... Maybe some of us here suffer......
nie ma podpis?w

Cdnlouie

Very pertinent question Lucky. ?Would you be able to outline what parts are common and what parts are not.

I would be guessing that they will have to do separate kits (based on information you have shared previously). ?Or if they combine it will be more expensive than it needs to be.
I think it is a good deal to get a shot at maybe smoking out an accelerator pump diaphragm if they can find one. ?Of course there are no guarantees.

Someone might want to expound upon the European carb situation as has been pointed out here. ?Is there a difference or not?  Ok, I just noticed your note Humber about how you only have the 82 version.

We Canadians share both the 82 & 83 US version for better or worst.

bikehandle

Lucky
in the carbs
are any parts shared with both years or entirely diffrent?
and does anybody know where the bulk of the visions are? US? europe? and was there a japanese version? or even sold there? or was the vision there way of getting even with us?

Bikehandle

Lucky

There are no "soft" parts interchangable between 82 and 83 except possably the accelerator and fuel pump diaphrams. might be a couple of misc. seals or orings.  Actually, the only other soft parts that might be included in a kit are gasketts.  unfortunatly I don't have an 83 to compair them with.  even the zccelerator pump parts might be different, as the 83 incorperates the regulator with the acc pump to prevent it from pumping when the engine is off. (so i've read)

Hard parts such as jets, pilot pins, emultion tubes etc are completely different & not interchangable.

My thought was that if the kit included both years, it might be more $$, but I like having the extra spare parts around. (from a rebuilders point of view)

North America  got the Vision in 82 & 83 only. Europe, Africa, Austraila & Asia got them thru 1986. possably South America too, I'm not sure...

--Lucky

bikehandle

lucky

Do you know of any up grades, carbs or otherwise in the three years we didnt get them or were they static with our 83s?

Bikehandle

bikeseamus

Needles and seats interchange with my 83 and two sets of my 82s, with the previously mentioned upgraded 83 1100 Maxim Yamaha.