News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Vision carb kits

Started by bikehandle, January 28, 2003, 05:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

your right, the needles & seats do interchange, my brain is half frozen and soon to be buried under 9-12" of snow...sheesh!  enough of the white shit already!!!

I've never seen anything newer than 83, so i couldn't tell you if 84-86 is any different.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

Here is the picture of the needle I found on the web which is supposed to fit XJ1100, I don't know bike why you call it interchangeable - actually my needle is completely different.

https://www.partsnmoreonline.com/PNMSite/XV%20Virago%2048-5014%20Needle%20&%20Seat.htm

Seat is similiar but I am not able to take any measures... so???
nie ma podpis?w

Humber

Guys you are complete nuts. Lucky I told u that our carbs didn't change. I have '84 carb in my home since I bought spare parts bike. The carb match your 82.

In Germany all years were 11U - no changes, no additions, they were equipped with double disc brake from the beggining.

Maybe there is a difference but on 11V which was sent to GB - any guy from there???
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

I never said your carbs changed, just that you guys got xz550's 3 years longer than we did.   and yes, with all this snow, i'm getting completely nuts...

bikeseamus

Humber  UPGRADED needles shouldn't look like the old ones. Replace them with their matching seats,together,new,and you're done.

Humber

Bike how??? there is some stupid wire attached to the end of the valve... looks weird...

https://www.partsnmoreonline.com/PNMSite/XJ1100%20Carb%20Parts.htm
nie ma podpis?w

RobTx

Just a guess Humber, the wire goes around the tab on the float to use the weight of the float to pull the needle down (not just relying on gravity) and to keep it from getting stuck in the seat.
Rob

Lucky

Humber, the wire fits over the metal arm of the float by the adjustment tab when the fuel level drops.  it's job is to pull the needle away from the seat.  this prevents it from sticking closed.  Admitadly, this isn't a big problem, and you could pull it off with no ill effects.

--Lucky

bikeseamus

Humber   Think of it as a Desmodromic needle, not subject to Gumbo crap, and as a vibration dampener, it will only willy around a little bit if it's contained... plus, it does moderate LATERAL movement somewhat. MAN , These things vibrate, it's an internal combustion engine!   Plus, the neoprene tip seals better, and even absorbs MORE vibration, making your fuel feed calibration more accurate. NO ONE makes the old type of needles anymore, unless they're too cheap to do the right thing. The upgraded needles and seats are the best float bowl calibration in motorcycle evolution. Now the world moves onto injection, complete with electronic TPS, heat sensors, ping detectors, and hot rod brainboxes that speak to the injectors. In Visions, upgrade the needles and seats, and you're there. OK Bub

Cdnlouie

Ricks 83 has confirmed sending off a set of 82 carbs to me today.  I hope to pick them up States-side and deliver them to the lads in Kitchener within a two week time frame, so they won't be too far behind the 83's.

My only thoughts are what jet sizes to include in the 82 Vision set (not the same as the 83).  There has been a range of discussion on this topic in the past.  It seems that it is hard to find a Vision that has not had its jets tampered with.

The Yamaha manual suggests 122.5 front and 127.5 rear main jets and 130 for both pilot air jets (on the top of the carbs).  However, all Cdn. models that I have seen have 120 on the air pilot jets.  They may have updated the Cdn. Visions later I am not certain.  I ran out of time last fall/early winter to check out the 130 air jets, but I definitely have some stumble with the 135's.

Bikehandle recently went through some jetting changes and he suggests that the these stock settings with the 130's work real fine, so if everyone is happy with these I will include those sizes with the sample carb.

Louie  8)

RobTx

Louie,
I'm running the stock sizes with no hesitation or stumble at all.  (130's, 122.5, 127.5)
Rob

bikehandle

Louie
I'm actually running 130F-135R. full power no stumble. I'm guessing by what I read on here there is no two carbs jetted the same?
Bikehandle
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Humber

fuck.... I have just searched bikebandit for accelrator pump diaphragm.. they have it but the price is damn high $25
nie ma podpis?w

Kenny

"Update on 83 Carbs"
  Today I talked with Martin from Sirius Consolidated and He confirmed the 83 Carbs had been sent off to Japan this past week.
  Nice to see somethings happening other than Bagfull's of Snow and Cold temps.
            Cheers Ken  
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Humber

Guys, what about 82!!! I insist on sending them twoo.. A lot of people won't manage without them...
nie ma podpis?w

Kenny

Hi Humber,
   You need to check with bikehandle (see Post #28) as louie is rounding up 82's to send off to Sirius. Or see Post 19 as Rick's 83 has a set of 82's he forwarded to Sirius.
  Any chance of an update on 82's being sent to Martin at Sirius.
                  Thanks Ken S.  
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

bikehandle

guys
I fired off a e-mail to louie, he should have some feed back soon.
Bikehandle ;D
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Cdnlouie

Hi Guys,

Been out-of-town for a week, so late in responding to the anxious ROV family.

Good news, got the 82 carbs from Ricks 83 tonight as I walked in the door.  Now I need to supply jets for the set so I will need to pop out on Monday or Tuesday and pick some up.  Everything else is complete enough for the kit measurements so we are in business.

I will take the set down next week or ship them depending on my schedule and they will be happily off to Japan for a 2-3 month vacation.

Thanks to Ricks 83 and Kenny for responding to our appeal.

Louie  8)

Cdnlouie

Well guess what? ?The ?82 carb kits from keyster just arrived from Japan!

That was certainly a drawn out project but we have brought it to completion and it looks pretty good. ?I will email anyone the pics of the kits if you want a look. ?I will try to put them on the site if I can get a link established.

We also have a gasket kit for the fuel pump available (separate kit) so that's not a bad deal either. ?I am not sure of the prices yet, but there is one kit for each carb. ?I think your going to get a fuel pump diaphragm in each one as it is included.

Anyone who needs a kit may want to grab one just in case they get bought up as he probably only ordered about 250kits to keep costs down.

I hope you all will enjoy the convenience to being able to get the parts in one place. ?The diaphrapm for the acclerator pump is one thing that we have not been able to locate and that is included.

Cheers! ? ?:)

Louie

Lucky

Ok, so the big question: how much for the kits?, & can I get a quantity discount? (how many units?)
--Lucky