News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

82 Vision...NEED HELP....

Started by Mkelley1976@gmail.com, August 29, 2012, 12:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mkelley1976@gmail.com

I have an 82 vision that seems to start and run fine. however I have noticed the last few rides of 15 miles or more that it will start acting up. feels as if it isn't getting gas in the back carb. if I open the throttle seems to be fine but if I let off only sounds like its firing on one cylinder. I have checked spark plugs, plug wires, installed a good inline fuel filter, It is sporadically happening. any suggestions

Jimustanguitar

Lucky would tell you to check your float levels :)

You should also check that your float needle and seat aren't getting hung up.

Hartless

probably has nothing to do with it, but I have heard of and experienced vapor lock quite frequently with the vision once it gets warmed up. try taking the gas cap off once this starts to happen and listen for a hissing sound. then try it again. Though if your hearing what sounds to be only one cyclinder firing that is probably not it. But it doesnt cost anything to try....
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Rikugun

Quote from: Mkelley1976@gmail.com on August 29, 2012, 12:26:26 PM
I have an 82 vision that seems to start and run fine. however I have noticed the last few rides of 15 miles or more that it will start acting up. feels as if it isn't getting gas in the back carb. if I open the throttle seems to be fine but if I let off only sounds like its firing on one cylinder. I have checked spark plugs, plug wires, installed a good inline fuel filter, It is sporadically happening. any suggestions

What makes you think the problem is with the back carb? So it runs and idles fine but under deceleration it sounds different? Are there any other symptoms like lack of power at certain RPM etc?

If it runs fine when you open the throttle it would seem to be getting fuel. It sounds like a new problem and float height doesn't arbitrarily change on it's own although there may be other causes keeping fuel from entering the carb. You can verify when it starts to act up. Pull over, kill the engine and disconnect the vacuum line from the petcock. Bring a screwdriver with you and drain both bowls to see if they both have the same amount of fuel. You could also try pulling the plugs and checking the color is the same.

Another cause of dropping one cylinder is ignition. I've not experienced this myself but apparently if the rev limiter circuit is malfunctioning it can drop one cylinder. It's supposed to but only at a predetermined high RPM. Many have cut the black/yellow at the TCI to avoid potential problems.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Jimustanguitar

You can also remove the rev limiter wire from the gauge cluster if you're not looking to cut it. It's yellow with a black stripe.

If you're extra suspicious about an ignition issue, you can measure the impedance of your ignition coils. If you suspect something, switch them and see if the problem follows. Are you absolutely sure that your plug wires are good?

Rick G

I've never had vapor lock occur at less the 100 to 105  deg. f.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

fiatracer

do you just cut the wire to eliminate the limiter? i want to kill it on my street fighter
Wrench it Ride it!
1982 XZ550 sport custom
1983 XZ550 full fairing
1980 GS850 bagger
1986 Trac DH 100 SuperHawk
1973 DT100
1962 Puch Sabre 50
1963 BS 7
1961 Honda Super Cub
1984 Magna V30
1982 xz550 streetfighter
1984 vf500 Interceptor
1982 GL1100 custom

Jimustanguitar

The wire terminates in a plastic molex connector at the ignition unit, and it's a crimped eyelet that a screw goes through at the other end of the wire inside of the gauge cluster. I pulled out the screw, taped up the eyelet, put a zip tie over the tape in case it looses its sticky, and put the screw back in so that I don't lose it if I ever want to hook it up again.

And it is the yellow wire with a black tracer, not the other way around. There's historically been some confusion about this, but I've seen it with my own eyes. Plus, there isn't a black wire with a yellow stripe anyway :)

Rikugun

I stand corrected, it is identified as yellow/black. I made the mistake of going from memory but hopefully anyone searching at the TCI would find the yellow/black and recognize my mistake. To those that did not put two and two together and searched on to eventually find and cut the black/yellow for the starting circuit cutoff relay all I can say is: take advice from the board but be responsible for your own homework!  :P  ::)  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Mkelley1976@gmail.com

I had previously read about the rev limiter and disconnected it after getting the bike. what I do know is when I start having the issues I can set the choke about halfway and seems to run fine

Mkelley1976@gmail.com

tested YICS have internal leak. can someone assist with how to disable? Is there anything that I need to do to just cap off the ports on the head?

Rick G

Go to an auto parts store and get a rubber cap kit , be sure its rubber not plastic, select the proper size and install them where the YIKS hoses go. Or stuff a ball bearing in each hose and put them back on.
I bought a kit with vinyl caps and the blew off when the engine warmer up. Also check the caps frequently , chinese rubber cracks easily, I know from experience!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Mkelley1976@gmail.com

runs pretty good now but is a little more difficult to start. Has better throttle response. a bit harder to start. but a new battery may help that

pullshocks

I went to Ace hardware and got a couple big aluminum rivets and use them to plug short lengths of tubing on the YICS ports on the engine.

Once you get the YICS out of the picture, if you are still having good performance with the throttle rolled on, but poor performance at low rpm, for me this has always turned out to be clogged low speed jets.