News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Fuel system maintenance ride

Started by pullshocks, February 03, 2013, 05:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

My goal:  gunk-free carbs next spring.

My method:  ride 80 miles at least every 2 weeks all winter and fill up with fresh fuel and Sea Foam.  Seattle-Monroe-Fall City-Redmond-Seattle is my standard ride

Yesterday was a tolerable 42 degrees, much better than last ride.  I stopped at the BMW dealer to get some anti-fog.  Was very jealous of the person after me who was buying heated insoles.  Wouldn't it be great to have an electrical system that can handle such accessories?

Rikugun

I wish I could do that but the weather has not been cooperative on the weekends.  :( This weekend is supposed to be mid 40's but they brine and salt frequently so the roads are really ugly. We'll see...

Once the weather stars to turn ugly I use stabilizer on every refill but don't totally trust it to keep the carbs safe. ???  As a fail safe, I rerouted the carb drain hose to make it more accessible. After every ride I drain the bowls into a Ratio-Rite cup and dump it back into the tank. I'm never sure after a ride when the next will be so this makes for drama free starts even after several weeks. That is assuming I remember to refill the carbs when I go for that next ride... :-[  :P  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

Luckily the XZ  has a prime position on the petcocl. My VX does not and  requires  lots of cranking  if the carbs are dry!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

My brother's Nighthawk and his VFR are like that. I could never understand that.  :( I suppose there are work-arounds but why not just include a "prime" position? Maybe they figure if the bowls are dry it's been sitting and needs some oil moved around prior to running!?  :P
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

The VX has the fuel pump located down by the swing arm pivot , so fuel must run down the line , to the pump and then be pumped back up to the carbs. I saw one VX with an electric fuel pump. Started instantly.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

fret not

Rick, was that a later model or an add-on fuel pump?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

I'd guess factory? Seems to me the cruiser model that uses the same drive train and engine had an electric pump.

Rick G

All VX800's 1990 through 1993 had vacuum fuel pumps (similar to the Xz. This was a '91  that had the pump replaced and relocated near the rear carb.
My '82 Dodge D150 has an electric pump , added by a previous owner many years ago . It has proven very reliable .
Rick G

Rikugun

I guess it was just the cruiser (Intruder) models then.  There area plenty on E-Bay like this one reasonably priced but you'll need a relay too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Suzuki-Intruder-VS-800-Fuel-Pump-/330869765563?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d095ff5bb&vxp=mtr The larger "Boulevard" Intruder pumps (1500-1800) I think mount in the tank so if you're considering doing this mod be carefull which one you buy.

Any make's electric pump could probably be made to work but if you want to keep your Yamaha all Yamaha you can use one of their electric pumps too. Jasonm has advocated using Venture/V-max and  FJ11/12 pumps which may have 1/4" fittings? I think he mentioned having one from a Virago 535 on his (if I'm not mistaken?) but prefers the Venture type. This may be due to it's auto-shutoff feature when no resistance is felt ie leaking carb inlet valve. You could try emailing him for specifics but he may respond here first.  ;)  :)

Tiger

Quote from: Rikugun on February 06, 2013, 11:24:09 AM
FJ11/12 pumps

Not on an FJ1100 ('84/'85)...I believe they came in on the second year FJ1200, in '87 ;)

8) ....... TIGER .......  8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

MY son pointed out that there was a "giant Vision" in a car lot down town . Turns out to be an FJ  . was very clean . Not for me though , I don't like fours.
Rick G

Rikugun

QuoteNot on an FJ1100 ('84/'85)...I believe they came in on the second year FJ1200, in '87
Thanks for the correction Tiger. That info was from a discussion with Jason. Either I misunderstood him or his recollection was off a bit but either way I'll adjust my notes accordingly.  ;)