News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Almost there (timing?)

Started by Hartless, September 19, 2012, 05:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartless

So, I finally have began investigating my problem further and have came to a conclusion that there is a stuck valve. I am going to swap in my spare head and see what happens!
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

QBS

A stuck valve in a V probably indicates valve piston contact.  Any contact indicating marks on the top of the piston?

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on December 18, 2012, 03:20:36 PM
A stuck valve in a V probably indicates valve piston contact. 

Maybe...but not always. It may well be a gummed up, sticking valve that needs removing/cleaning or replaced...or it could be a :-\ Ah well, we shall soon know when Hartless removes his head ....... from the Vision that is :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Hartless

Quote from: Tiger on December 18, 2012, 03:28:31 PM
Quote from: QBS on December 18, 2012, 03:20:36 PM
A stuck valve in a V probably indicates valve piston contact. 

Maybe...but not always. It may well be a gummed up, sticking valve that needs removing/cleaning or replaced...or it could be a :-\ Ah well, we shall soon know when Hartless removes his head ....... from the Vision that is :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
I think this is more likely the case then it hitting the piston. This happened directly after I put the motor back together and the symptoms happened immediately. (spitting gas out of the carb) I did check the cam timing and it was off.... But it turned
By hand freely before I ever ran the engine. I originally had a different head on and it would not turn all the way and I figure now it is because the cam timing was off. So HOPEFULLY I should be able to swap out the original head and be riding soon!.... But I have made MANY similar statements In the past and.... Well here I am talking about it Again!

Rick G

I've seen bent valves that were not stuck. Stuck valves  are usually the result of carbon or varnish in the valve guide.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

zore

Have subscribed.  You had me at hello.

This is like one of those vision version of the mentalist.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

pinholenz

I got similar symptoms to you and thought it might be a valve as well. Put some upper cylinder lubricant in the fuel. It turned out to be a combination of minor things. In order of importance, these were:
1. Failing spark plug. Replaced with non resistor plugs
2. Failing resistor spark plug caps. Replaced with new NGK's.
3. Once it was running again, Carbs way out of balance. - Rebalanced.
4. Sticking float valve causing overflowing to front cylinder.

Now she starts really easy and pulls like a train. Still needs tweaking but at least rideable.

Good luck
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

That's so true with many Visions - it's often a host of problems with overlapping symptoms. Working through them all is a process and can take some time to get right.  :) ;)

QuoteNow she starts really easy and pulls like a train. Still needs tweaking but at least rideable
That's always nice to read - another Vision well on it's way!  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Hartless

Quote from: pinholenz on December 23, 2012, 05:36:34 PM
I got similar symptoms to you and thought it might be a valve as well. Put some upper cylinder lubricant in the fuel. It turned out to be a combination of minor things. In order of importance, these were:
1. Failing spark plug. Replaced with non resistor plugs
2. Failing resistor spark plug caps. Replaced with new NGK's.
3. Once it was running again, Carbs way out of balance. - Rebalanced.
4. Sticking float valve causing overflowing to front cylinder.

Now she starts really easy and pulls like a train. Still needs tweaking but at least rideable.

Good luck
That is originally what I suspected and I changed all that, but to no effect... :(