Looking to buy a crankshaft

Started by munkyfistfight, February 04, 2013, 06:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munkyfistfight

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370690936770?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

I've been interested in this one. Is that a fair price? Or does anyone have one that they're willing to part with?

I took apart the engine of my "myster motor" and found some wear and tear on the crankshaft that doesn't look good. One of the connecting rods was completely loose and all of the bearings looks like they had scoured and done damage to the cam.

Also, I'm assuming I'm going to need all new bearings, rods and pistons, rings, etc... I figure I might as well start from scratch since I have the whole thing apart. Any input on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

(I do have a functioning Vision so I'm not in the greatest hurry to get this on the road  :P )
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Rikugun

Unless you are well versed in engine rebuilding and have the facilities/tools to conduct such work I'm not sure I'd bother. The cost and time make it seem not worth it in my opinion unless you just enjoy tinkering. You can often pick up a used, non-running but viable Vision for a pittance (or free) if you need a second engine.   Just my 2 cents.   ;)  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

I think you need an assessment from a qualified machine shop as to whether you need a different crank and rods.  Also to have them look at the pistons and cylinders to determine if you can reuse them or they must be replaced. 

These are becoming hard/ impossible to find parts if you are looking for new, but used should still work fine if they are not damaged too badly.  After all, all the parts in the bike are used. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

munkyfistfight

Well, now that you put it like that....

I never entertained the possibility of finding another scrapped motor. To be honest I got the "mystery" Vision for what I consider to be a cheap $200 (no title  :-[). After getting it home I concluded that the entire bike is there and a really clean looking set of MAC pipes were on it.  ;D The frame is clean, and besides an awful paint job, it's all there. The more I get into the engine, the more I can see that the PO had attempted an overhaul but didn't do a good job.

Ok, I actually like the idea of trying to find another motor. And then I can salvage the parts I have from this one that are still good.

Thanks!
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Re-Vision

I have an engine with approximately two thousand miles on it. It was in a head-on crash early on. I couldn't get the engine to turn over more than 270 degrees and after removing the front head I discovered that rust build-up at the top of the rings prevented the piston from moving beyond that point. I also found a crack in the right engine side cover and replaced that. Engine turns a complete 360 now and you know as much about it as I do. Anyone interested in this engine can buy it for $350 plus shipping. Pictures available if wanted.     BDC

fret not

Rusted rings/cylinder would require boring out  to the next size that cleans.  That would require OS pistons and rings, near unobtanium.  OR  replace the rusty cylinder(s) with serviceable used parts and retain the original or other used standard pistons. 

Original cylinders can be bored out and the liners replaced, it's not terribly expensive but still not cheap.  As long as there are serviceable standard size original cylinders I think that would be the way to go unless you are going for a bigger displacement, like 650cc, but that WOULD require different piston, rings, and head gaskets.  Probably have to have those parts made. $$$
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Re-Vision

Mike, the front cylinder looks as though it has surface rust on the top 1/2 inch of the cylinder and I don't know what the rear looks like.  I have another engine that the seller told me was ready to go but I would want $450 for it (Approx 15K).    BDC

Rikugun

That sounds a little steep for a Vision engine but I can appreciate wanting to get as much as possible for them.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Tiger

munkyfistfight...if your willing to drive from Pittsburg PA to a Canadian border crossing (Niagra Falls NY) one Saturday, I'll give you an engine for $100.00. Be aware...missing will be starter motor, carbs, stator & starter clutch...however, you will have these things from your original motor ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

I have lots of serviceable  cylinders and heads , but no cranks that I would sell at this time . I have serviceable pistons and rings also. I have sold two motors over the years (100.00 each) one lost a rod early on , the other had a weak cylinder and the buyer exchanged it with one from his old engine. If you need a crank , talk to Tiger or get your old one rebuilt , using Mazda 323 rod bearings , which I believe are of much better quality than the OEM ones

If anyone needs a crank and can't find one and doesn't have the option of getting one rebuilt  I can get one rebuilt locally and send it on , for a reasonable fee.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike