News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Cool bike....bad electrical

Started by thisandthat, February 11, 2013, 04:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisandthat

Replaced my stator not to many miles ago.
Doesn't charge, first time it was a bad connection, now I'm thinking it's the stator again.

What's the resistance and voltage between the white wires supposed to be

Anyone tried a different rectifier on the bike?

Thanks

Jon

Rick G

I've been using a KZ900 RR for 10 years , It has a larger heat sink , Its supposed to be better quality too!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

fret not

I have a MOSFET RR unit from a '07 or later CBR600RR  which is nearly bullet proof.  Make sure your battery is in good health and well charged before making any assessments of your system.

Keep in mind that the mechanical and electrical elements of your system don't care about you, they respond to the realities they encounter.  Emotionally it's not fair, but from their perspective emotions don't count.  Get over it. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Some harsh reality and a bit of philosophy thrown in to soothe the hurt. Well done fret nut!  :D

QuoteWhat's the resistance and voltage between the white wires supposed to be
Don't have the specs in front of me but the ohms should be very low - maybe <1 using rx1 scale?  Also ensure there is no continuity from the whites to ground. Use the highest ohm scale on the meter. The volts will vary but 50ac at about 4k would be adequate I'd think. Occasionally you'll find one that tests well but spits the bit under load  :o Here's a practical test I found online to help determine if the potential holds up under scrutiny...

First do an ohms test on the stator using your bikes manual. However, I have seen alternators that can have the correct ohm reading, but not put out ample current (Wattage). If you think this may be your case you can also do a "wattage test". Connect a 100 watt lamp ( you have to use a 100 watt bulb not a new energy saving curly fluorescence) directly to any two alternator wires. You will have to cut off the end of the lamp cord and put on terminals that fit into your stator connector. Most alternators should get this size bulb pretty bright by raising your RPMs up a bit.... By using this method, you will have lot better assurance that the alternator can produce both voltage and current (Wattage).
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

I've just been down this road as well. Its a joy when you get to the other end.

What gave me confidence was fitting a digital volt meter into the horn circuit (less than $10 from China for a waterproof meter which I have simply stuck on near the key) Gives me constant feedback as to what is happening to the battery.

Rikugun, the 100 watt lamp test should be brilliant for testing output. Wish I had thought of that. Wont be so bright here in New Zealand since our household light bulbs are 220-240 volts as opposed to your 110 volts. Total output from stator will be about 300 watts at 5k revs.

Using the Electrosport diagnosis and R/R fault finding charts are a must
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/diagnosis-center/fault-finding-guide
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/diode-testing-guide.pdf

I am running a Suzuki GS650 stator and R/R.  But I am running on a shoestring with used parts. But definitely will fit a MOSFET when one becomes available at the right price.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

QuoteRikugun, the 100 watt lamp test should be brilliant for testing output. Wish I had thought of that. Wont be so bright here in New Zealand since our household light bulbs are 220-240 volts as opposed to your 110 volts

Interesting but would it matter? Watts are watts. I'm not sure what watt  ;) bulbs you can get but if it's 100 wouldn't the result be the same? 
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

Our 100 watt bulbs would burn about half as bright as yours. Still demonstrates stator output though and if we wanted to, we could use a 40 watt, 240 volt bulb instead. I'll try this next time I pull a connector. You have piqued my curiousity.!
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

thisandthat

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I think it's the rectifier after a few tests, better then the stator! I was testing the voltage with the rectifier hooked up, after thinking about it that was a a bit retarded, particularly not knowing what's in the black box. Of course it didn't give a good reading.

thisandthat

With the rectifiers did you get Kawasaki or Honda brand or a 3rd party one?

thisandthat

A lot of ricks rectifiers on ebay, good? bad?

Rikugun

I think Rick used an OEM used Kawasaki R/R but he'll have to confirm that. Like fret, I'm using a late model CBR600  R/R. It's a "MOSFET" design and came from a low miles wreck on E-bay. I installed it with a new stator and it's been good to go so far.  :)  I have no experience with Ricks rectifiers but it does seem to be a well known brand.

fret not

Here is a step by step explanation and some other interesting information regarding three phase charging systems, like we have on our XZ550s.

http://eviltwinsbk.com/forumz/index.php?PHPSESSID=20gs4i4i5utv5lfel8qbgnna01&topic=276.0
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

My RR came from a little junque yard outside of Salem OR. Since closed . Cost me 20 bucks in 2002
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike