Vision Friendly For Height Challenged Beginner Female Rider?

Started by Calkins, October 04, 2012, 02:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calkins

Hi all!

I have been kicking the Vision idear around for the past few years, but have yet to acquire one.  Soon, I shall be inhabiting my new home, with an OK sized garage.  That will allow me to add to my collection.

So, with the thoughts of owning my first Vision, I have had other thoughts as well.  Could I manage to score a pair of Visions, and teach my lady to ride?  She is but 5' 5" and has never even ridden even a moped.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Concerns?
Justin Calkins - Alden, Iowa
1981 Yamaha TT500 - Flattracker
2007 Triumph America

Jimustanguitar

I'm 5'6" and don't have any problems. I can't flat foot my left and right, but I usually rest to one side at a light anyway. Weight wise, you can't find a comparable bike that weighs less than 500 anymore, plus I think the Vision is easier to handle than most because it's not top-heavy. A lot of potential weight (fuel) was removed to make a big carb and airbox.

They make smaller bikes, but I understand your attraction to having two of the same. I say go for it.

Calkins

Thanks for the info!

My other ideas for a street bike would be a Yamaha SRX250 (kick only) and Honda Ascot FT500 and Ascot VT500FT.  I have also thought about dual sports, Yamaha TT350 and XT350 and Honda XL250R and XR350R with RFVC.  My worry with the dirt bikes is a seat height that would be a bit tall.  She has family near Denver and I have family in southern Missouri, and that is why a DS would be nice for us.
2007 Triumph America

Jimustanguitar

Go do the ABATE course on the 250's with her. Then she'll know what feels comfortable and what doesn't.

fret not

Calkins, of the bikes you listed the Honda VT500 Ascot has the lowest seat.  My brother has one and enjoys it because it is quite low compared to most other bikes.  Both the Ascot models were styled after flat trackers, so would be lower to the ground than the off road bikes you mentioned.  The VT500 has a shaft drive too.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Honda 250 Rebels can often be found reasonably inexpensive and are a good choice for new and shorter riders. They may be a much as 100 lbs lighter than the Vison too. The other makes also have various smaller displacement single and twin cruiser styled bikes with low seat height.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

Generally a smaller bike is much better to learn on, because it's easier to handle, especially when learning to negotiate turns, stopping, parcking lots, putting the bike on the stand, etc., unless the person has the attitude and determination to ride the larger machine no matter what. 

Calkins

She doesn't know this is going to happen yet   :P  I'm not sure how much she is going to want to do this.  My hope is that she see the freedom of motor bikes, and then comes to enjoy them.  I'm cool with two-upping (that's what the Triumph it for), but would enjoy riding around with another ride from time to time as well.
2007 Triumph America

fret not

My wife was the best passenger I ever had on a motorcycle, and that includes other riders that raced.  Once I taught her to ride her own bike she became one of the absolute worst passengers ever.  Always trying to straighten up in a turn, wanting me to slow down too early, not leaning at the right time, etc.  In the beginning she didn't know about riding a motorcycle but just trusted me implicitly and riding with her was a true joy.  Once she had her own bike and had to learn to operate it she became rather 'conservative' in her judgements regarding judging oncoming traffic, entering turns, etc.  She doesn't have an aggressive personality, prefers to be 'safe', tentative, and for that same reason I won't have her operate power tools.  We tried.

Your lady may do quite well on a motorcycle, or not.  Just take heed what could possibly happen.

Calkins

2007 Triumph America

YellowJacket!

Kia Wrench modified his seat by cutting out several inches of padding to accomodate his short stature.  Last I saw him on his Vision, he said it was quite comfortable, easy to ride and was able to easilly flat foot it.

I'm about 5'7"... well OK, I've probably shrunk a bit... and modified my seat quite a bit.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

I inherited a cut down seat from the Vision racer. I tried it for a while , but it really didn't help. Lower is not the answer, at least not the whole answer.
My VX800 had the worlds worst seat. it was low enough,but was poorly padded. I cut the front 5/8 from the  a XZ seat  and spray glued it to the  VX rear section. As the VX seat pan was narrower than the XZ , I cut a wedge shaped piece from the inside , along the edge on both sides, to narrow it up . It now sits great and I can reach the ground  quite well. It was like having my legs stretched.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike