News:

Main Menu

two California passes

Started by VisionMeister, November 05, 2012, 08:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionMeister

We had a very warm day today for November, so Supervision and I decided to ride over the Sierra Nevada mountains on Sonora pass and back over Ebbetts Pass.
Sonora Pass is the first pass north of Yosemite and tops out at about 9,400' elevation. The road is very steep and very smooth for a mountain road (because it is closed in winter, no snow removal equipment).
Ebbetts Pass is the next pass north and tops out at about 8,800' elev. It is not as nice as Sonora Pass, but is still an awsome ride as it passes through several mountain valleys and by several lakes. Ebbetts had more shady areas that retained snow from a recent storm and had been sanded on some of the severe switchbacks.
We had a great day as it was probably the last chance for us to ride these roads this year.

supervision

Nice shooting Meister, not too shabby, makes me feel like I was their.   I got some coffee in Jametown, then zoomed fast forward, Chiniese  Camp, Red Hills Road, Hwy 59 to Snelling then Turlock rd home.
" border="0

fret not

There is some granite showing.  Wonderful pics.  Storm coming in a few days, snow predicted to 3,000.ft (1,000. meters more or less)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

VisionMeister

This ride reminded me that I had done this exact same ride in 1971 with my good friend Lynn Johnson. Lynn had a beautiful 1969 Triumph Tiger and I rode my 1970 Kawasaki 500.
I was interested in "cafe racing" and had just added clubman barsand played with the suspension.
As you can see there is still lots of snow. It was the first weekend that the passes were open and we were poorly prepared for the cold.
I got copies of these photos from Lynn at our 40th class reunion in 2009. They were taken with a Brownie 110 which makes them hard to copy and edit with any quality, but they always bring back the feelings of awe I had at the time. 

supervision

Great memories, those were days!!   No, these are the days, we can everyday!! I'm going on a short ride today, before the incoming storm.  My job, is to wear out these tires!! 
" border="0

motoracer8

Been over all of those passes many times, all great rides.  Sonora is the best one on a motorcycle.

Hwy 4, going toward 89, or Markleyville is also a good m/c road.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

js9_20

All good..(fun) roads up there.  I'd really enjoy joining you guys some time.

supervision

Yes, we sure live in a perfect location to enjoy the turns.  When I was 12 my Dad bought 2 Honda C110 50cc road bikes for us to ride. He had a 1950 Dodge panel truck we would tie them in and drive from Turlock out to Snelling to avoid the cops!  They were constantly falling over because we couldn't tie worth a hoot!! We would leave the truck at the park, and go on a all day ride on the same roads I ride today.
" border="0

supervision

" border="0