1982 wont get spark, engine turns

Started by stantonbarbas, November 11, 2012, 02:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stantonbarbas

hello all, this is my first post. I have a 1982 Vision that is having some issues. I got this bike and it was in pieces, stored sometime in 2009. after spending some time reassembling the bike, i have gotten to the point where the bike should be starting. the engine will turn, but no spark. could this be a stator issue? i don't know exactly why the bike was disassembled back in 2009. Here is a video of the bike trying to start (not the highest quality video, but you should get the idea)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I_TwBTPpgU

much thanks guys, these forums are a blessing.

fret not

We will assume all necessary wires are connected to the right places.  What is your battery condition?  Static voltage reading, and when cranking?  If it drops below 10.5 or so it will not fire.

If all else is well then start checking for wiring problems, like handlebar switches, pinched wires, corroded connections, the fuse in the headlight, etc.  There is a wide range of possibilities since the bike is 30 years old.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

stantonbarbas

Quote from: fret nut on November 11, 2012, 03:03:29 PM
We will assume all necessary wires are connected to the right places.  What is your battery condition?  Static voltage reading, and when cranking?  If it drops below 10.5 or so it will not fire.

If all else is well then start checking for wiring problems, like handlebar switches, pinched wires, corroded connections, the fuse in the headlight, etc.  There is a wide range of possibilities since the bike is 30 years old.

The battery is charging. i will try to start the bike again in a few hours, and tell you how its going.

stantonbarbas

ok, so after a few hours charging, the battery is good, but the bike still wont get a spark. i will check the wiring next.

PwrManDan

Did you check both spark plugs for spark?  I only ask as a reminder to check both....could help eliminate a coil?

fret not

Stan, do you have a volt/ohm meter?  Your battery must read 10.5v or higher while cranking or the ignition will not fire.  It is just one step to eliminating possibilities, but a pretty important one.  If the battery reads low all the other checking and cleaning you do will not bring much joy.  The battery must be healthy or the bike won't go.

Check the fuses and their contacts in the fuse box.  Eliminate any oxidation where contact is made, and check for corrosion of the wires, as sometimes it happens just under the end of the insulation near the terminals.  Check where the coils are bolted to the frame and make sure there is no rust or anything else acting as an insulator.

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

pinholenz

With a full battery and a dead stator or regulator/rectifier, the bike will start if you have a spark. It seems that many a Vision rider has limped home with a dead stator. If the cranking voltage is below 10.5v though, I understand from others more experienced than me that the Transistor Controlled Ignition (TCI) needs at least 10.5 volts to generate a spark.

Have a look at this resource for Vision electrics:

http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/IgnitionFAQ.html
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Lucky

The connector for the pick up coils (in the stator case) should be plugged into the TCI. The can also be plugged into the R/R by mistake & vice-versa. Damage will result :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

stantonbarbas

thank you all for the information! unfortunately i am not savvy with much in the way of automotive work. i was only able to assemble the bike (mostly) by aide of a book, and my fathers experience with a 1983 Vision when he was my age.

I feel i will be selling the bike as is. i would much rather have a bike that works, as my first bike. thank you for all the helpful information, though. i really mean it. Its communities like this that make me glad i can turn to help if i need it.

once again, thank you  :)

Rikugun

Quote from: stantonbarbas on November 12, 2012, 05:58:40 PM
I feel i will be selling the bike as is. i would much rather have a bike that works, as my first bike

Nothing wrong with that - these bikes aren't for everyone.  ;) Good luck with the sale and hopefully you'll find a good home for your Vision.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: stantonbarbas on November 12, 2012, 05:58:40 PM
I feel i will be selling the bike as is. i would much rather have a bike that works, as my first bike. thank you for all the helpful information, though. i really mean it. Its communities like this that make me glad i can turn to help if i need it.
If you sell and buy another old bike, chances are you will end up with the exact same or different problems.  Lack of spark is not a vision specific issue.  It's not even all that common I think.  The vision has well known charging system issues, but not so much ignition.
Diagnosing a lack of spark is easier than assembling from parts - Check good voltages and triggers into the TCI, then voltages out to the coils and the high voltage.  There's not much can go wrong.  If your TCI or coils are faulty, then both are available often on ebay or here.

Jimustanguitar

How are you testing for spark? Have you confirmed with the right tools that there is in fact no spark, or is that just your diagnosis? Pinholenz is right, the bike will start without a stator, so unless it's hooked up backwards with the TCI like Lucky warned, something else is going on. If you think the carbs are ok, and you have spark and good plugs, I'd do a compression test next. Engines need air, fuel, spark, and compression to run. You're still missing one of those :)

What work have you done aside from just reassembly? Did you do any carb cleaning, or anything else like that?

I second RORO's comment about used bikes. You already own this one, and parts are available. I'd keep going and try to get this one back on the road. Even if you do want to sell it, it's worth more running.

Good luck!

67GTO

" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Rick G

The clutch switch will do this too. The "safety circuit" can be a problem!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike