Temp Guage for the 82.

Started by RedBaron, December 06, 2012, 07:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedBaron

As you know I have an 82. My bike has no place for a temperature gauge on the meter panel, there is a plastic blank where the temp gauge might be on an 83. Yet, I see meter panels on eBay that are supposed to be 82 meter (speedo and tach) panels. Is that possible that some 82's have temp gauges? If so, has anyone performed the upgrade on a temp guage-less 82? In my RJ service manual it shows the temp gauge and the pickup on the T connection just above the engine on that longish cooling hose. ON the subject of hoses, does anyone know of new sources of hoses that might be used even if they are not OEM?(I promise I did search for the topic already so if you know that it's been addressed and can point me to the entry I'd very much appreciate it.)

Red
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

Rick G

I don't know what you have there, but '82's have a temp gauge.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

All XZ's have a temp guage. Post a pic of your dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RedBaron

Sorry guys. Brain Fog and old age are getting to me. Frankly, the Baron is a two to perhaps three year effort depending on time and finances and I've not seen my speedo assembly in nine months; it's in storage waiting on the frame to be refinished.

I must have been thinking about the guage at the bottom of 83 meter boxes, perhaps that is a fuel guage?

Anyway, on my question about coolant hoses, I hate to run anything on thirty year old hoses so have you guys and gals found any good substitutes? Thanks.

Red.
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

Rick G

I haven't had  much problem with those old hoses. I screwed one up and installed another one , from my stock of used stuff.
You might  take sample hoses to your local auto parts store and ask them if they can match them. There is probably some similarity  with small foreign car  hoses. or perhaps a flex hose of similar dimensions will be available.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

Rikugun

I thought I recalled someone posted a close match for one of the hoses. Usually I'd add such info to a document I keep of similar usefull tidbits. I have no entry for that so either I imagined the posting or neglected to add the info to my records.  >:(

Maybe Tigers parts emporium?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano