News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

82 keyster carb rebuild kits.

Started by RedBaron, December 26, 2012, 12:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedBaron

After searching on carb rebuild kits from keyster for the 82 I'm getting the feeling much of what comes in the kit might be better sourced elsewhere after reading comments related to the wrong jet sizes and different "plunger rods" length on the accelerator pump diaphragm and "when wrenching in Oregon the kits were sometimes crap...". My reading made me wonder  if I should take a part's fiche and source the parts separately and be better off?

But, I could have simply been reading things wrong. So here in a concise posting would someone be kind enough to list:

1) the contents of the 82 keyster kit.
2) what is missing from the kit that they had to source somewhere else.
3) what items were the wrong or different size and required some change to the carb to use the kit provided part.
4) what items simply seemed poor in quality, if any.
5) what they liked about the kit.

Thanks,
Red.
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

Rick G

I didn't like the poor marking on the jets , many were not even close to the right size , when  checked against new Mikuni jets. You can source Mikumi jets from any Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki dealer..

Mostly the gaskets are OK , but the price of the  kit is not worth it to get just gaskets, I make my own anyway.
There have been problems with  diaphragms also.                                                                                                                                   
The float needles and seats  were crude . The OEM ones are no longer available , but needles and seats from another model fit, Which one escapes me at this moment. Perhaps someone else will remember.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RedBaron

Thank you for the insight and experience.

Related to your comment on "the other model" to source needles maybe :
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=1901.msg17388#msg17388
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

Rikugun

I was satisfied with the kits except for the price of course. SCI prices are high and these kits in particular because they carry them exclusively. I'm not sure how long ago Rick's experience was but perhaps the quality is better now? Or perhaps my experience with aftermarket parts has lowered my expectations.  ;)  Duplicating the contents would be practically impossible and cost even more than the kits not to mention a tedious process.

I didn't document the contents but recall they were fairly complete. There may have been a gasket missing for the secondary venturi but I don't recall. If so, I improvised accordingly. Also, the emulsion tube was not included but I didn't feel it was needed. Whatever adjustments were required of the accel pump rod and float level to accommodate slight variations in components I consider part of carb setup rather than deal breakers.

Two accel pump diaphragms are included but only one is needed so there is a spare. The tiny O-rings and washers for the new idle mixture screw are included as well as new drain screws and O-rings. I recall all needed crush washers were included. The top chamber gasket is well made and more precise than what most people are capable of making.

I didn't have new mikuni jets to compare with but the included jets were in better shape than those in my carbs. The heads on the stockers were destroyed and multiple cleanings over the years and wire reamings left me feeling a bit dubious re their actual sizes. The bike seems to run just fine with the new jets.  :) I'd say the accel pump diaphragm, new unmolested jets and new throttle shaft seals made the biggest improvement. The latter of course is a separate purchase not included with any carb kit I've encountered.

I only have one season on the rebuild so time will tell if component longevity is an issue. So far I'm satisfied but like anything else YMMV.  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

My experience with kits goes back to 2002, I've used kits sent by those having me rebuild carbs , over the last 10 years . I also used kits while working at an in dependant shop , in Salem OR.  None have been worth the money, If your diaphragms are shot ,I suppose  there worth it. I make my own gaskets . I sent  a set to Kia wrench last summer and his comment was that they were better than factory ! 
A great many carbs that come to me for rebuild, have incorrect jets, the result of trying to correct s stumble , by those  who were uninformed.
As time goes on there will be less reusable parts  in  the carbs.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

Rick I don't doubt your ability to make a gasket and your dislike of the Keyster kits is well documented. I'm just offering my opinion based on admittedly my one and only experience with the two kits I used.  ;)

Of all the kits people send you to rebuild their carbs, are you replacing the jets included with genuine Mikuni jets or using the jets from the kits? It might help others to know where you are sourcing them from if someone wants to use the genuine article. On that subject, do you happen to know the country of origin for the keyster jets?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

I never use the kit jets. If the jets in a carb are factory and the  correct size I reuse them , if they are kit jets, I discard them ( you can differentiate between them by the type of stamping of the numbers, I use a jewelers loop) I buy new ones at our local Yamaha , Suzuki or Kawasaki dealer.
Rick G

Rikugun

Absolutely makes sense to reuse the originals when possible. Thanks for the info.  :D