News:

Main Menu

drive shaft to chain

Started by ninoman, December 30, 2012, 09:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninoman

has anyone done this or try ed to do.was looking at bike bandit At the middle shaft it looked like you can put a sprocket in place of the gear.

fret not

The conversion from shaft drive to chain has been done by a few brave souls, but only for racing purposes.  For street riding the shaft drive is much cleaner, nearly as mechanically efficient, and wears much longer than a chain and sprockets.

The middle gear drive gear gets machined to accept a sprocket, and then you need to change your rear wheel.  Unless you are changing the whole chassis you are better off staying with the original set up, but if you want to go racing the use of chain and sprockets offers a much greater range of gearing.  Just sayin'
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

John Clemons  did this to his race bike, he explained how on this forum. As I remember, it was an expensive operation And not an easy one.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

tremalzo

Chain conversions also have been done for other yamaha shaft drive models like xs750 and xs1100. The pics show a xs1100 chain conversion kit.

fret not

Have you seen a set up like this that fits the XZ550?  Even if you could find one you would still have to change the rear wheel and swing arm.  good luck finding parts that just fit, you will have to get into some fabrication to make it work.  There are precious few accessories available for a bike that was offered for only two years.

Don't let this stop you from making the conversion.  If you have the tenacity to follow through, the resources to make it happen, and the desire to do it you can make it happen.  It just won't be easy is all I'm sayin'.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

ninoman

thinking of this i know it will not be easy. thinking of fatter rear wheel  and a disk break easyer to change gearing to lower rpms

tremalzo

Search for the thread on the race bike mentioned earlier. As I remember the engine will have to run reversed after the chain conversion.

Rikugun

I don't recall that being part of the conversion but I may be wrong... Sounds like a nightmare with cam chain tensioners/guides, relocated pickups etc, etc. Wouldn't eliminating two 90 degree drives (engine & wheel)bring you back to the correct rotation?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

tremalzo

There was another thread, some years ago, about a vision flat track racer. As I remember it had a reversed engine and a special built ignition by electrosport. Can't find the thread, but saved a copy of these pics.

Rikugun

Well now, that is an interesting one - thanks for sharing the pics. I don't remember seeing this before. I'm not a fan of the spoke design but do like the bodywork.  :)  The rear exhaust takes an unusual path to the head. I can see the stator cover is modified to accept something at the end of the flywheel - is that part of the modified ignition scheme? Anyone else remember anything about this racer?

It's difficult to tell but it seems as if the rear cylinder's cam tensioner is facing the front and the casting blank cover is facing rear. Would you agree?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Night Vision

that's (is/was) the Memphis Shades xz750.  Saw it at the last Syracuse Mile a few years back and met TDub the "tuner of vision".. this was the bike that spawned the Cometic gaskets for our visions.... hung pretty well with the XR750s

the left side case  / stator cover was modified for "ground clearance" for left hand turns... in fact, it didn't have a stator or starter... total loss ignition.. notice the battery? the nut on the crank was for starting   
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

jefferson

The shaft turns the right way for chain drive. There is no need to change the rotation of the engine.

Jeff

Hartless

Quote from: jefferson on January 02, 2013, 11:02:30 AM
The shaft turns the right way for chain drive. There is no need to change the rotation of the engine.

Jeff
That picture made me wonder, to me it doesn't look like anything is reversed... Though I am looking on my phone so it's hard to see
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Rikugun

Quote from: Night Vision on January 01, 2013, 09:39:59 PM
the left side case  / stator cover was modified for "ground clearance" for left hand turns... in fact, it didn't have a stator or starter... total loss ignition.. notice the battery? the nut on the crank was for starting 

Yup, good point - the battery is where the starter would live. It appears the cover is slightly narrowed but the big improvemet was probably weight and faster revving. The cover mod is pretty impressive though. Almost looks like a 12mm slice (circled in red) was taken out of the middle. From the engine case surface to the outside of the oil fill hole looks normal. The outer most circular shape is there, but the material in between is missing!? Maybe to facilitate having the "starter nut" protrude adequately? I'm also curious how the starter nut was sealed to be oil tight?

stuckinlodi

Ive seen the bike and know a couple of the guys that have ridden it,  Very cool.  As for the starter nut it has a oil seal machined into the case that seals around the crank shaft.  Then the key or nut is attached to the end of the crank with reversed threads  and you adapt a socket to a starter off a toyota that you hold in your hands and start the motor.

Rikugun

QuoteAs for the starter nut it has a oil seal machined into the case that seals around the crank shaft. 
Makes sense.  :D  I'll bet it was a blast to ride!

stuckinlodi

It was a fast bike and with a little more devolpment I think it could have won a national or two.  If you look at my avatar picture its a flattrack vision as well.

Rick G

Sure beats the early days when you had to kick start or push them.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ninoman

going to try and do this. freind has a lathe so he can machaine stuff. im going to pick up a cbr swingarm tire rim and break set up for 75

zore

I'm not sure why you would go thru the trouble.  The shaft drive is what makes the vision a little different and comfortable.  I'd just as soon buy a bike with a chain on it.  You'll save money and time in the long run.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900