barn find- not running

Started by happyhippy121, January 25, 2013, 05:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhippy121

i've just bought a vision, its been stood in a barn for 20years. The engine isn't seized! Its only sparking on one side, i no this would be coil or something but i would of thought it'd still start up on that one side?

Jimustanguitar

It's hard to get them to start on just one cylinder because you have to raise the RPM's but that's too much air for a cold start most of the time. There's a pretty good chance that the carb is too gunked up to pass fuel through it anyway. I bet you'd get a sputter with starting fluid...

I started mine on one cylinder once, got down the road about a mile, and the other cylinder kicked in... We'll just say that I can turn down the idle screw with one hand while turning a corner with the other :)

Night Vision

starter fluid and wasted spark... oh the memories  :laugh:
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

QuoteIt's hard to get them to start on just one cylinder
And how! Hell, sometimes it's hard to get them to start on both cylinders! LOL  ;D

Funny thing happened when I bought my Vision. It back fired then promptly caught fire when the owner got medieval with a can of starting fluid trying to prove it ran. Have a fire extinguisher and burn ointment handy.  Oh, and wear ear protetion. Come to think of it safety glasses might be prudent. Not that there's anything to be scared of mind you..... :o  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

YellowJacket!

Other causes may be dry rotted plug wires - check Tigers post in the parts for sale forum, he makes an excellent replacement set...among other quality electrical parts.

Could also possibly be the rev limiter which can be fixed by either disconnecting the wire from the back of the gauge cluster or at the TCI.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

The first thing to do is cut the rev limiter at the TCI box, I seem to remember it was the black and yellow wire, (some one correct if I got the colours wrong.)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

to truly know if you do not have spark. You should remove the sparks plugs. Have them solidly grounded to the head and crank the starter. Make sure the spark plugs are clean. Have a friend helping to look at one spark plug...you at the other. If one does not spark. Do a coil swap. If same one cylinder not sparking...then the ignitor or wires, caps are bad. The caps can go bad but are repairable. The simplest is to get cheapo NGK spark plug caps. part# VD05F less than $5 ea. .  FYI-  The ignitors on these do just die for no obvious reason.  All of this is a process of elimination....spark plugs, coils , wires, caps...ignitor
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules