News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

What did you do to your vision today?

Started by sunburnedaz, January 24, 2013, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburnedaz

I saw this on another forum thought it would be a good idea.

So what did you do to your vision today?
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

sunburnedaz

I guess I should post first. I repainted the 83 risers and put a new sight glass in the MC.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Fuzzlewump

I just received tapered head bearings in the mail from Pyramid yesterday, so I'm looking over the manuals and forum to get all my info together for front end cleanup and rebuild this weekend.

Also, I went outside and stared at her for a few minutes and daydreamed. Checked the cover to make sure she's staying dry. I woke up this morning to find an unexpected rain falling- nice surprise for this area!

There are some slight nicks on one of the tubes, and I remember reading somewhere about feathering those out with a soft pad. I'm gonna look for that post while it's on my mind.
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

AdvRich

Good to see the actual level in the mc for a change. Nice change out.

So far of late, I've given the Vees admiring glances on my way out to load the wood boiler. Staying toasty up here... though it would be nice to be down there wrenching in a much warmer garage or better... riding.

Rich

supervision

A few days ago, I removed my gauges to lube the speedo, changed oil (T6 ROTELLA K&N oil filter) and went for a 50 mile ride, warming up at a TACO TRUCK in Hickman, Ca.
" border="0

YellowJacket!

Looked at it and wished for better riding weather.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Jirik

sunburnedaz: What is it MC?

My XZ is in hibernation, so I charged battery. I'm going to make air fork caps, so I loosen the caps.

sunburnedaz

Short for master cylinder.

More work last night. I set the odometer on the new gauge set to match where the old gauge set left off. Then swapped gauge clusters with one that had not sun faded. Thanks again Night Vision for selling me those!!! They look so much better than the old unit.

Also re-installed the master cylinder with its new sight glass and flushed new fluid thought the lines.
98 ZX-6R Track Bike

Night Vision

Quote from: sunburnedaz on January 25, 2013, 11:28:15 AM
Short for master cylinder.

...Then swapped gauge clusters with one that had not sun faded. Thanks again Night Vision for selling me those!!! They look so much better than the old unit.

one of the many advantages of living where the sun don't shine  ::)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rikugun

I'm hoping we'll be allowed some latitude and not be confined to just "today"!?  ;D

This past Sunday I took what will probably be my last ride of the '12/'13 riding season.  It was an unusually  nice day although a bit gusty at times. The sky was bright and quite sunny and warm. You can see the reflection of blue sky and high wispy clouds in what was once the perfectly smooth and shiny surface of my top trunk. I ended up riding about 115 miles although some of that was spent backtracking looking for the trunk that had fallen off in the first 28. :o  ???  :(

As I weaved my way back through the zig zag course of back roads the trunk did not materialize and hope started to fade. The hard packed, bumpy, gravel covered Aunt Molly Road (hey, don't blame me for the name) was suspect but came up short. I began to make a mental accounting of what was in there and in need of replacement. Getting closer to my starting point I feared someone had happened upon it and taken it tempted by the possibilities of untold treasure within.  ::)

Just about then I spotted it! There it was on the other side of the road, face up, closed and intact. It was sitting on the edge of a lawn just the other side of the roadside ditch. Amazing! It has some rash but is remarkably unscathed. Apparently it landed on the top, flipped over and spent most of it's time skidding on the bottom. I'm sure it came to rest on the road. There is no mud or grass stains indicating it bounced across the ditch and into this lawn. I'm convinced a good Samaritan stopped to move to off the road, hopped the ditch and placed it on the lawn right-side-up where it would easily be seen. I gathered it up and walked back to the bike feeling very gratefull. Looks like I won't have to replace that gear afterall. I may even reconsider my position on the kindness of strangers.  ;)  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

motoracer8

Well it was'nt today, but about 3 weeks ago I rebuilt the front brake calipers and the master cylinder and treated it to some Ferodo brake pads.

The last time I messed with the brakes other than brake fluid was 20 years ago.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

pinholenz

This week I took mine for a spin up to Helensville 50km north of Auckland. The first time when I could enjoy a ride  with the battery charge indicator showing 13-14 volts. New (old stator) from a Suzuki and and finally a good second hand R/R, also from a Suzuki.

I was visiting a chap in his late 60's who was selling off some XZ parts. Scored a couple of decent looking coils and then started talking. Years ago he brought in a box of bits from the States for his own XZ so he was just clearing his workshop. He and his wife were so delighted to see another XZ on the road, he ended up giving me his other bits. I now have a Vision side panel. Cant be too many of those in New Zealand. He now rides a 82 XV750 that is being modded into a hardtail bobber with a stick shift. (Clutch lever of the stick) Hard case

One of the bikes in my youth (a couple of years ago) was a 1954 LE Velocette that had a shaft drive, water cooled twin and a hand shift. That and its buddy, a BSA Bantam 125cc were my first bikes. Don't I wish I still had them!

Today I am off to adjust the accelerator pump linkage to try to cure the gagging that occurs when I open up the throttle in a hurry
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

treedragon

Tweaked and fitted a bellypan, "adjusted" and fitted a battery box for under the bike and inside the bellypan..........  ;D
There is always a way

PHM

Well, I shoveled two feet of snow to get to the shed which of course is 150 feet away from its summer home in the garage.  Since all the body work is at the painter still, I put new fuel filters in, a rebuilt starter, thank you night vision,,charged the battery, and at this time (on coffee break now) am polishing the pipes.

pullshocks

Too much yard work for riding today, but I swept up the leaves and generally tidied up the motorcycle parking area.  Noted that the trickle charger green light is still on, and no significant oil drips.

fret not

Treedragon, sounds like you are putting weight below to get a very low center of gravity.  That should help high speed handling stability some.

Have you thought of welding up a new frame to maximize on all the possible refinements and improvements?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

treedragon

That about sums it up.  ;D

I was hoping to get the battery at the front of the bellypan to help with a front weight bias but there is not quite enough room to do it gracefully. Instead it gets to sit just in front of the rear tire, sorta close to the rear exhaust  :o and around 4 inches from the road yet hidden by the new bellypan.

I'm going to remove what is left of the rear subframe as it isn't needed anymore and likely trim the lightweight rear fairing I'm currently running, it's from a 900SS as I see an opportunity to fiddle a bit more  ;D  ;D

As for a new frame....... nothing wrong with this one I'm a thinking and a new one might stop me fiddling a bit............

There is always a way

pinholenz

Treedragon, I am in awe.....

I discovered tonight that I can replace the acell pump spring without pulling the carbs. Replaced my existing spring with one from a Biro as per the suggestion of another member - actually, I think it is a lot stronger than the original. Fiddly job -I used cotton thread  tied through the spring to compress it while I reinstalled that impossibly tiny split pin. Then cut the thread. Will take it for a run tomorrow to see if the throttle bog has improved.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

Unless the spring is weaker than the OEM I'm guessing you'll get more of an initial squirt (or the same) as the factory setup. Wouldn't the spring need to be weaker than the combined resistance of the return spring and the accell pump action to provide less fuel?

Honestly I can't imagine the stumble is caused by too much accell pump fuel unless there is an underlying over-rich condition to begin with. All things being equal and assuming sound top end, no vaccum leaks and clean properly adjusted carbs, often the V stumble is helped by adding preload to the spring. Yes? No?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

I think it will be the length of the travel rather than the strength of the spring that matters