starter seal replacement page is up.

Started by ArrrGeee, September 14, 2003, 09:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArrrGeee

RussD

I think I did everything right according to your link here. From the picture you've got of the seal in the nose cone, it looks like the flat/solid side is up/facing the camera.......not the hollowed out side?     ???
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

ArrrGeee

yep, that would be correct.
the part numbers facing up and the top of the seal should be flush with the housing.

-Ron

QBS

Ron: the Ford Model T was well known for its' planetary gear transmission.  Cheers.

ArrrGeee

yup, you are correct, I don't know where I got that piece of trivia, can I blame parts cleaner fumes ? ya ya thats it... ;)

-Ron

Walt_M.

Ron,
 You are probably thinking of the fellow whose last name was Chapman, who patented just about every gear combination for automotive automatic transmission configurations. GM accidentally used one of his designs when it came out with the 3 speed Turboglide in '58. They had to pay him a bunch of money and dropped the Turboglide.
Whale oil beef hooked!

RussD

OK Ron......based on you saying the flat side should be up, then I think I did it OK. I thought somebody on here said I had it in backwards that way, so I was beginning to get paranoid I did it wrong.

Exchanged my battery tonight for a new DieHard. Will charge it up tonight, & see where we stand tomorrow. Still getting that "clicking"......Hopefully it's just because the battery was dead (even though I'd charged it all night). It barely turned the motor over one time the other night before it started clicking again.

P.S.......Thanx for posting those pix on the sight Ron. It helped to make sure I'd done it right. Why were you working on your starter....Were you having problems with yours as well?
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

ArrrGeee

QuoteOK Ron......based on you saying the flat side should be up, then I think I did it OK. I thought somebody on here said I had it in backwards that way, so I was beginning to get paranoid I did it wrong.

Exchanged my battery tonight for a new DieHard. Will charge it up tonight, & see where we stand tomorrow. Still getting that "clicking"......Hopefully it's just because the battery was dead (even though I'd charged it all night). It barely turned the motor over one time the other night before it started clicking again.

P.S.......Thanx for posting those pix on the sight Ron. It helped to make sure I'd done it right. Why were you working on your starter....Were you having problems with yours as well?

well, despite everyone thinking that I don't have a life, I actually was having a problem with slow cranking when everything is hot. plus I had done the starter about 4, almost 5 years ago and wanted to check it out and make sure I wasn't getting the oil problem back. as it turned out the starter was fine, so it cost me about 5 bucks in parts and an hour or so labor, I was going to do an oil change anyway after the trip to vermont.  lastly, I thought it would be good to detail it on the website, some of the pictures are a little fuzzy but I'm pretty happy with the results.

-Ron