A Handful of Issue: battery doesn't charge, choke must stay partially on

Started by KyleMCMXC, March 08, 2013, 12:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyleMCMXC

So, I got my Vision back in October and haven't done much with it. It's rideable and I've ridden it quite often but now with spring around the corner I want to get it in tip top shape (or as close as I can to that).

My first problem is that the battery does not charge while the bike is running. I'm thinking this is an issue with the stator but I don't know much about this so what can I do to narrow it down? As of now, I'm hooking it up to a battery tender when I store it and I've taken the headlight fuse out so it wont drain the battery (I only ride during the day at this point haha).

My second problem is that while the bike is running, I can never really turn the choke down much past 50% without the bike stalling. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the carbs but I really don't know for sure. What else might it be? Could it have anything to do with the electrical issues I'm having? The one thing I've noticed is that the connector for what looks like the voltage rectifier/regulator seems like it might have been messed with/replaced before.

My third problem is that every so often when I'm hitting the starter button I'll hear a loud, unpleasant, clunk noise. I'm afraid this is the starter clutch which is discouraging because the previous owner told me that he had recently replaced it. I'm hoping that maybe this just means an adjustment has to be done and not necessarily that the clutch is going to go on me.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post - if you have advice for me but want clarification please feel free to ask and I can go into more detail about what I described above.
1982 XZ550 Black - In progress...

fret not

FIRST: Remove the left side cover and remove the flywheel to re-fit and stake the starter clutch!!!!  If you continue using it in the current condition you will most likely break the starter clutch and then have to replace it.  An ounce of prevention is way better than a pound of cure, and a whole lot cheaper.

SECOND:  There is a fairly easy test sequence with a multimeter (volt / ohm meter) that is linked to from the home page here.  Follow the procedure to test the stator AND the regulator/rectifier.  Either one or both could be bad.  Also check your fuses!

THIRD:  It sounds like you have air leaking into the intake system, could be dirty carbs, but more likely leaking boots that the carbs stick into on the cylinder heads.  Look for cracks in the 'rubber'.

Either get a repair manual (Clymer, Haines, or factory) or the CD from Lucky, as it has both factory and Haines manuals plus the testing procedures for the electrical system on your bike.  You will need a puller to get your flywheel off.  Read as many old threads as you can as many of them have gems of wisdom pertaining to your Vision.  You are going to get an education in the process,so buckle down and soak it in, it will be a protracted ride.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kwells

Are your YICS ports plugged up?  They are ports that come from the intake boots. If you have the chromed plastic triangle YICS box it will connect to that. Most people remove the box and plug the ports as a fix.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

As I have said many times " Someone has gotten a lot of the good out of it , you will need to put the good back in"   When you do it will be reliable  and fun!
TANSTAAFEL  ( there ain't no such a thing as a free lunch, it hidden in the price of the beer.)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

KyleMCMXC

Quote from: kwells on March 08, 2013, 01:35:30 AM
Are your YICS ports plugged up?  They are ports that come from the intake boots. If you have the chromed plastic triangle YICS box it will connect to that. Most people remove the box and plug the ports as a fix.
I'm not sure if they are - I'll check that. If they are, what does that mean? Are you suggesting that I plug them as a solution or that I might need to go back and change something someone did?

KyleMCMXC

Quote from: fret nut on March 08, 2013, 01:10:18 AM
FIRST: Remove the left side cover and remove the flywheel to re-fit and stake the starter clutch!!!!  If you continue using it in the current condition you will most likely break the starter clutch and then have to replace it.  An ounce of prevention is way better than a pound of cure, and a whole lot cheaper.

Ok, I trust you there! Where and how do I find out how to re-fit and stake the starter clutch? Is that a complicated procedure?

SECOND:  There is a fairly easy test sequence with a multimeter (volt / ohm meter) that is linked to from the home page here.  Follow the procedure to test the stator AND the regulator/rectifier.  Either one or both could be bad.  Also check your fuses!

Got it, I'll read up on it.

THIRD:  It sounds like you have air leaking into the intake system, could be dirty carbs, but more likely leaking boots that the carbs stick into on the cylinder heads.  Look for cracks in the 'rubber'.

Where are these boots you speak of? Under the YICS thing? If they're leaking how do I remedy that?

Either get a repair manual (Clymer, Haines, or factory) or the CD from Lucky, as it has both factory and Haines manuals plus the testing procedures for the electrical system on your bike.  You will need a puller to get your flywheel off.  Read as many old threads as you can as many of them have gems of wisdom pertaining to your Vision.  You are going to get an education in the process,so buckle down and soak it in, it will be a protracted ride.
[/quote]

The Prophet of Doom

Rikugun

It sounds like you have at least three of the major Vision problems - fueling, charging, and starting. If you are not mechanically inclined you have a steep learning curve ahead.

I'm not sure why an assumption was made about vacuum leaks - maybe the "can never really turn the choke down much past 50% without the bike stalling" comment? That may indicate air leaks if the carbs were otherwise in perfect working order. You very well may have air (vacuum) leaks but you can test for that. It may be that the slow speed carb circuits are fubar but the enrichener (choke) circuit is functioning allowing the engine to run at low RPMs when used.

The rubber boots are the black rubber intake manifolds the carbs are fitted to. They often get dry rot cracks but don't necessarily go all the way through. The chromed triangular YICS canister on the right side of the carbs (if still installed) is often a source of air leakage and should be removed and the ports on the motor capped off to eliminate this possibility as you sort through the problem. Repair of the canister is a separate chapter unto itself.

Battery dying - based on the number of incidents I'd guess this means the alternator stator and probably the regulator/rectifier (R/R) are no good. There are tests that can confirm this and are covered extensively on this forum and elsewhere.

Starting noises - again based on how common it is, I'd guess your starter clutch is loose and/or broken. This component is bolted to the backside of the rotor/flywheel under the left engine cover aka alternator cover. The repair is is also covered at length on this site. Along with this repair is addressing the seal in the starter that often leaks allowing engine oil to foul it.

Fueling - Vision carbs are notoriously finicky and don't respond well to sitting dormant especially when left with fuel in them. The airbox flapper, accelerator pump performance and YICS canister integrity all play vital roles in proper fueling. Without meticulously cleaned carbs to start with the afore mentioned elements are of little concern.  :(

If it were me, I'd address the left engine cover issues first - starter tuneup, starter clutch repair, and stator replacement if required - which it probably will be.  ;) Then I'd address the running issues.

Oh, and lest I forget... 
QuoteCracks in your rubbers are never a good thing
Bazinga  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

KyleMCMXC

Quote from: Rikugun on March 09, 2013, 10:33:39 AM
It sounds like you have at least three of the major Vision problems - fueling, charging, and starting. If you are not mechanically inclined you have a steep learning curve ahead.

Luckily, I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I've worked on my Jeep a lot, worked on bicycles extensively, and am the son of a contractor/jack of all trades -- which all amounts to me having a notably better sense of this kind of thing than many people I know. I just don't really know the first thing about motorcycles but I'm willing and excited to learn. Plus I have at least 3 people I'm close with who know a good amount about bikes and are willing to help.

Quote from: Rikugun on March 09, 2013, 10:33:39 AM
If it were me, I'd address the left engine cover issues first - starter tuneup, starter clutch repair, and stator replacement if required - which it probably will be.  ;) Then I'd address the running issues.

Sounds like a good plan - that's probably exactly how I'll tackle all of this. I'm just hoping that this doesn't amount to a failed investment in the end. On the bright side, the amount of joy I've gotten from riding so far is already worth more than what I spent of the bike to begin with.

Fuzzlewump

Welcome to the forum, Kyle!

I just wanted to say that it's cool to have a new Visionary joining the group, and it sounds like you're in a perfect position to tackle the learning curve Rikugun has mentioned.

Before starting my project I had no understanding of motorcycle mechanics at all, and I've still managed to make great strides in restoring mine. This website and forum are an amazing resource for information, and all the folks here that I've run across are very supportive, patient teachers. There really is no such thing as a stupid question on ROV, and that makes it a damn fine community.

You will find absolutely EVERYTHING you need to know in your rebuild process here on the forum, or on members' websites. If you search through the old posts you'll find a great deal of what you need to know. But if you dig like a madman through the old posts, you'll find some amazing insight into all types of mechanics, as well as some brilliant ideas for making jobs easier or making your bike nicer.

I see you're in Jersey. Whereabouts? I spent some time living in Paterson a few years back.

Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

KyleMCMXC

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm beginning to understand that mostly everything I need to know is probably covered at length if I take the time to find it, so I'll definitely be searching extensively when I run into new challenges.

I'm down a little south near Asbury Park - any suggestions for good riding up by Paterson? The girlfriend's family lives up that way and she just got her first bike and her fathers been riding for 30 years. I'd love to get the 3 of us together for some good rides up that way this summer.

fret not

Good areas to check for information are the TechTalk section of the forum, but there is a lot of information in other areas.  Also the Upgrades sub section. 

Check the links on the Home Page for some technical information.

Look for posts by Lucky, Tiger, ReVision, RickG, Motoracer8, and several others.  It will be worth your time to sift through the discussions here, learning of things to look out for, things to do, etc.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Factory manuals for free here http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12221.msg111223#msg111223
There is no clymer for the XZ550 that I know of. 

Fuzzlewump

Quote from: KyleMCMXC on March 10, 2013, 10:53:46 AM
I'm down a little south near Asbury Park - any suggestions for good riding up by Paterson? The girlfriend's family lives up that way and she just got her first bike and her fathers been riding for 30 years. I'd love to get the 3 of us together for some good rides up that way this summer.

I really couldn't say where a good riding area would be up there. I was so busy with work at the time that I didn't really get to move around much for fun. It's difficult to get away from all the crowds near Paterson, but I do remember seeing some nice rural scenery up near West Milford. You could spot black bear in that area without getting very far out of town- an unnerving thought for locals, I'd think. Myself, I was hoping to spot the Jersey Devil... ;D
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!