News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Newbie in Tokyo

Started by HarryTakeuchi, March 31, 2013, 09:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

After WWII my uncle gave me a Navy book identifying American and foreign military aircraft and ships. I remember a German aircraft that was the only seriously non-symmetrical airplane in the whole book. Also recall that Japanese war ships had super-structures that were readily identifiable as Nippon because so much had been tacked on to ever structure on the ship. Welcome aboard Harry.     BDC

Rick G

I worked at City Cycle center , in Pico Riovera , CA.  In 1965/67. The owner , Skip Clark had been sales manager for YIC  then in Pico Rivera too. He had many friends  from Japan.
One day he introduced Fumio Ito , a Yamaha factory rider , who had won many GP races , including the Catalina GP  in 57 or 58.
I was told to prep any bike he wanted. I asked if he wanted a 250 Yamaha, but he specified  a 500 Triumph , so i got one ready. City Cycle was sponsoring a poker  run that evening,so the service manager , Dan Osborne ( my brother in law, ) Mr Ito and I rode together. While passing through Chino CA.  a couple of  guys jumped out while we were at a red light and pulled knives on us . Ito pounced like a cat , popping the Triumph into a wheelie  and running over  one of the banditos  , with the  rear tyre spinning, while climbing over his crotch!  the other one turned and ran and Dan and i had great sport running him down. we probably should have waited  for the cops , but we were behind in the poker run and had to get moving!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

HarryTakeuchi

Wow! RickG he is a legend! If it was 65 then that would have been right after he was arrested for the illegal possesion of a gun (our gun control laws are very strict) and fleed to the US, never being able to return to Japan because he was on suspension and not supposed to travel so if he did go back he'd be in jail.

I can believe the deed you described from the character he is said to be.

Pop Yoshimura is said to have been asked one time if a 45 year old ex-racer will be able to ride a Yoshimura racer to which he said no he can't, but upon hearing that was Ito, he said "Then it's a different story. If there is anyone who can it would be Ito."
Harry Takeuchi

HarryTakeuchi

Here's a photo of my XZ550D. I still need to work on her but at least I got rid of old stickers and also polished the footpeg plate.

The previous owner installed a stabilizer on the forks, had oversized brake rotors made one-off, and a pair of Brembo calipers for the double disk brakes.
Harry Takeuchi

The Prophet of Doom

Harry those Brembos look great.
I have a pair I was planning on putting on my bike.  Any change of some close-ups of the adapters?

Rikugun

Yup, great looking brakes on a sharp looking Vision. Are those rotors from another Yamaha model - FJ or Seca Turbo perhaps? They also resemble US '83 rotors.  Harry, can you measure the diameter?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

HarryTakeuchi

Roro, Rikugun
Thanks. I'll get the measurements and closeups in a few days. The rotor was custom made to resemble the original XZ rotor. The previous owner gave me a choice between an YZF-R1 rotor and this rotor when he sold it to me. Although the R1 rotor seemed like a better choice in terms of performance (floated mounts, etc.) I went for the more original looking one-off. I don't have the measurements now but I think it is either 300 or 320mm (not sure of the year model the R1 rotor came from ) .

Here's a picture from the auction I got the bike on. the left one is the one I got but apparently you can also fit the R1 rotor.
Harry Takeuchi

jefferson

Those rotors look to be a couple of the rotors that we had on the 82 model. I haven't got the adapters made yet, but the racebike has 2- 82 rotors on the front with a SRX 600 front wheel. 2.15 wide instead of 1.85. I like the looks of the Vision wheel better though.

Jeff

jefferson

Ok, I just looked at the 1st photo. I see the special rotors in the 2nd now.
You are in a pretty good position to track down one of the neatest Visions out there, that being the Katakura XZR751G. Somewhere on this site I have seen some of the old newsletters that were scanned. Someone can probably point out where they are. I can't find them. If newsletter #24 is there check out the section on the bike. It is a built 750 chain driven Vision in a FZR400 chassis. It was built by a Mr. Miname there in Japan. Check it out if possible.

Jeff

fret not

Isn't that the same idea John Clemmons did with his road racer XZ?  But his is a 650.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: jefferson on April 19, 2013, 10:08:18 PM
Ok, I just looked at the 1st photo. I see the special rotors in the 2nd now.
You are in a pretty good position to track down one of the neatest Visions out there, that being the Katakura XZR751G. Somewhere on this site I have seen some of the old newsletters that were scanned. Someone can probably point out where they are. I can't find them. If newsletter #24 is there check out the section on the bike. It is a built 750 chain driven Vision in a FZR400 chassis. It was built by a Mr. Miname there in Japan. Check it out if possible.

Jeff

It's in Newsletter 24 under this post
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12221.msg111223
Also is in a colour version - See Impossible Dream XZR751G in the same post under the category "Reviews"

jefferson

John did it after I sent him the article. He was going to do a Hawk chassis until he saw that.

Jeff