Vision resurrection advice...101

Started by Tiger, October 07, 2012, 08:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

ALL on here know that after laying around for some time...months but in most cases, several years...that the carbs need to be stripped out, made squeaky clean, rebuilt (even using all the oem parts) and synced...enough said.

However, something over looked by a lot of people...and for the life of me I cannot under stand WHY!!!

To ALL those new to their Vision, PLEASE replace ALL your vacuum and gas lines NOW. They are pennies to replace and could save you problems now or sometime down the road...after all, in most cases, we are talking about 30 year old rubber here!!!

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

You make a good point , John. When I rebuild a set of carbs , I change out all the lines , using modern materials.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

lexx790

I replaced mine when I rebuilt it 3-4 years ago, but I think it was old stock from the shop, which ever one it was , and this started to decay a few months back spilling petrol all over my left boot. Don't forget the short bit right under the tank. I did and this split too, again coving my boot in petrol (gas ,american translation :-)   )

pinholenz

This really cheeky, but to save us newbies lot of time faffing about, is there an inventory of ID sizes and overall lengths needed replace all the vac, fuel and breather hoses? Thanks
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Jimustanguitar

I went to the parts store and just asked for an arm's length of every diameter they had. I've been glad that I did. It's not a lot of money.

haze5736

Quote from: pinholenz on October 11, 2012, 02:06:04 AM
This really cheeky, but to save us newbies lot of time faffing about, is there an inventory of ID sizes and overall lengths needed replace all the vac, fuel and breather hoses? Thanks

The same thought came to my mind initially. It seems that every time I go to the parts store to get 1/4" fuel line I come back with 1/4" inside diameter with a different outside diameter. Sometimes it's clear, sometimes it's black and every so often it is blue. I may do as suggested this time and just get 2 feet of everything. With all the bikes I've accumulated I'm sure it won't go to waste.

Rick G

I go to the local Kawasuzuki dealer and get 4 feet of everything except the  small accelerator pump line , I get 2 feet of that. It covers me for quite a while,
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Aelwulf

Good notion.  I replaced some of my lines when I first got 'er goin' but there are still some that could use replacing.  That, and I still have a few electrical connectors that need greasin'.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Fuzzlewump

I know this is an older post, but I gotta jump in the "cheeky" boat with pinhole here and ask the same question....

What sizes are the fuel lines/vacuum lines for the '82? And how many lines total will I need?

I'm worried that if I grab a handful of every size available at the stealer, I'll sit down to put them on and have no clue which ones to use.
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

Rikugun

Not much movement here so I'll throw out some guesses! The frustrating part is that even most bike shops sell SAE fractional sizes although the bike came with metric so the fit isn't always perfect. Also, some of the OEM hoses are pre-formed and thick wall replacement hoses don't always bend as nice as one would hope.  :)

I think the fuel line was 8mm and the small vacuum petcock line was 5mm? If I'm right, the equivalents would then be 5/16" and 3/16" respectively. Incidentally, the aforementioned vacuum line is still available part # 90445-090G9-00.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan