News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

loosing power

Started by Guerrero, May 04, 2013, 04:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guerrero

just tried at night,was going through all rpm,no sparks anywhere. :-\

Guerrero

yah,and i really start to think that one cilinder is utrning off at some moment about 5k rpm.but it is only when under load,or in gears.because on N it runs smooth. any ideas,why one cilinder,(i guess the front one) is coughing?
°that probobly would solve the fuel usage problem,runing on 1 cilinder kind of hard for 310 kg+

Guerrero

so,afer ride,and when pipes start to cool down,when left pipe is still very hot,the right one is allready absolutly cold.this means the front cylinder is not working properly,right?
what possibly i can do with it? :-\

Guerrero

tested spar plug wires,pfound,as i thought front cylynder wire,is damaged.engine can run only on front cylinder,but under load,turns off.will change both wires(hope can find one) then will see

QBS

Contact Tiger, very long time member of this Forum, for high quality replacement spark plug wires.

The Prophet of Doom

Check/replace your spark plug caps also - they are known to fail.  Be aware of the difference between USA spec which uses plain caps and resistor plugs, and Euro/Australasian spec which uses resistor caps and non-resistor plugs. 

When buying spark leads, get true copper wire.  The carbon leads sold in automotive stores are not good on the XZ.

pinholenz

ProphetofDoom? Nah mate. You are BeaconofHope!
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rick G

I bought my plug wires at the local lawn mower shop . They don't tolerate carbon core wires either.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Guerrero

Ok,changed spark plug wires/caps and can say-it's alive!!!!
really,only seems now,have to change i guess,its called jets? because with air filter dont have high.but without flies like a monster,hurray =)
only now my generator is dead..... :-\ :'(

fret not

Check out the stator, as it may have failed.  Also check out the regulator / rectifier as it is possible it also has failed.  If you need to replace the regulator / rectifier use a later model MOSFET type, it will be much more reliable and operate at much lower temperature than the original silicon gate reg / rec unit.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Guerrero

yes,i ment stator=) when i saw it about month ago,it wasreally dark brown.but i hope i will be able just to rewind? it ,not to buy new.
but how can i check regulator/rectifier?what should i do with it?

Guerrero

k.pfound diagram on how to check everithing.first step didnt get well,it showed less than 0.2 v.
question is-where is ground on r/r? =) it has 3 yelow black wires coming from stator,and then 2 red/black going in to one,to very begining of +,and 2 green/black wires going in to one black,going somwhere.if we asume that 2 green/black wires is the ground,i checked the second step(red mm wire to - battery,and black mm wire to this 2green/black in to black) and it showed more than 0.2v -about 0.3-0.4 jumping.
Best
solution : connect the RR ground straight
up to the battery(-) with an extra lead. Fix
the problem and return to START --from diagram
so should i just connect right from 2green/black to battery negative,and just leav it like that?or just to check?

Guerrero

connected extra wire straight to battery from rr ground,but was no changes.
what should i do next?still rr problem,or stator?

Guerrero

just for you to see,how big of a mess is in my wiring

with blue mark those are the wires about which i was talking from R/R going 2 reb/black and 2 green/black

but with purple -what are those? brown with no edn,coming somwere from back,and this connector with 3 wires
what are they for?

Re-Vision

The wires in the blue circled area are 1. Red is +12 Volts from battery 2.Black is -12 Volts from battery (Gnd,earth) 3.Brown is switched +12 Volts from ignition switch. Your RR unit may be drawing current all the time rather than only when the +12 Volts is applied with ignition switch .
  The wires in purple circle would go to Flasher Cancelling Unit on bikes that have that circuitry.     BDC

Guerrero

ok.thanks.but main problem is,that generator is not charging while running bike =(

Re-Vision

Recommend that you wire RR unit Brown wire correctly (Probably to one of the red/black wires).  I don't know if your stator is putting out an AC current or not. Find someone to help you measure stator output. If no output Voltage, replace stator.     BDC

Guerrero

ok.checked more some things-it seems my R/r is dead.because battery is not charging,instead there comes AC power-about 25v
next question,how much of AC chould come from stator? i have about 6-10 v AC when testing on 2 from 3 wires.
what rr should i buy? i understood that mofset,but exactly from xz 550? on ebay,how to know if it is mofset? or maybe some one can offer me some?

fret not

MOSFET RR unit that is easiest to fit is from a Honda CBR600RR 2006 and later.  It has 2 'pig tails' just like the XZ RR unit, so the only work to make it fit is change the connectors on the wires.

You can tell which is a MOSFET unit as the manufacturer's (Shindengen) number on the units starts with FH instead of SH.  FH means it is MOSFET, SH means it is silicon rectifier type.  FH008AA is a good one, but they all will work as long as you can connect the wires.  Many MOSFET units have socket type connection where the wires plug into the body of the RR unit, for these you need to make a wire plug to connect them to the wire harness of your XZ.

Search this site for discussions of MOSFET conversion, there is a lot of information and links to other sites with more information.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

A properly functioning Vision stator should put out 50 to 55 VAC. Measure  across any two stator leads  in succession.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike