"Starter Cut-off Relay" Replacement???

Started by KoenigsTiger, May 19, 2013, 12:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoenigsTiger

Hi Gang,

Attempting to start her for the first time this season,  "start" button didn't produce the usual results.

After a while found the "starter cut-off relay" to be intermittently operational. Tapped and shocked till it worked, then took it apart.

Solenoid clicks loud, and test good!

Removed starter, tested poor.  Found a lot of material on seals and rebuilds! Will tackle that tomorrow.

The stock "Starter Cut-off Relay" is aged.  Do you guys have a replacement that you use? I'd like to install a new one.

Thank you very much,
Gene
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

Jimustanguitar

You probably won't find anything *new* with the original harness, but a 12v relay should be pretty universal if you're willing to do a little custom retrofitting.

*edit*

Rikugun

Another option is to eliminate it and accept the safety implications that result. To lessen the risk of being stranded by an electrical gremlin I eliminated the clutch interlock and side stand switches and the starting circuit and side stand relays.

Some prefer to leave everything stock and I respect that but for me it made sense to eliminate potential problems while simplifying the starting circuit. If my memory is correct, I think this remedy required jumping the two R/W wires at the starting circuit relay plug in order to have the starter function when it was in gear. Obviously this is one of the safety concerns that one needs to be cognisant of.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

lexx790

Theres plenty of new relays with correct wiring on US ebay

Rick G

Removing the "safety circuit" is one of the best ways to make a XZ reliable . I junked all that OSHA style crap over a decade ago. When i started riding , 52 years ago there was none of this nonsense , that was invented by lawyers.  Suit your self , but I recommend removal of those 30 year old relays and switches.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

KoenigsTiger

Yep,

I found them eBay for $5.  Surprisingly Canadian Tire has them too, similar quality to eBay for $6.  The Canadian Tire one doesn't have the resistance that Haneys Manual wants me to have(100 Ohms).  The old stock relay has 30 Ohms. I got the old one to work ok, after the starter rebuild I'll test the new one.

After the safety inspection, I want to by-pass the darn relay anyway...

Thank you Gents!!!
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450