News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

A crazy carb idea?

Started by wolfman, August 23, 2003, 10:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

As we all know (I think anyway) the front and rear carbs are essentially the same with the exception of the accelerator pump which is only on the rear carb and feeds the front nozzle through the use of an external rubber hose and internal passage to the front carb.  I am just wondering with some very minor adaptation, (and jetting work perhaps) if it is possible to use two REAR carbs and hence wind up with TWO accelerator pumps thus doubling the output volume and effecientcy essentially making the set up a "double pumper?  (Although I'm sure Lucky has thought of or perhaps tried this?)

Lucky

(82's used for this example):
You could do it, but there wouldn't be much point.  First, you'd only want to change the front carb bowl, not the top so you can use the stock fuel intake, & choke.  Also, you might want to swap the throttle linkage from the old front (the part where the cable hooks in) so that with the round filter mounted, you would be sure to get a fully closed throttle.  Finnaly, you'd have to cap off the connections for the transfer hose.

Now, why there's no need:
The nozzle ends on the pumps are a precise metered end, & they flow all the fuel they can. In a clean carb (& I have a way of cleaning them) the front doesn't "run short"

Your idea would work fine, & if you want to try it i'll sell you a rear bowl, but wouldn't you rather spend the money on a good carb cleaning?  ;D  (the price i'd want for a bowl alone would be prohibitive because i'd have to break up a perfectly good set of carbs, I hope you understand)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hamptoncarmody

Hi all .My 86xz 400 from NZ has got a pump on both carbs . I know this becze I have just spent all afternoon aiming the jet , breaking the nozzle ,resoldering it and reaiming it.Also the gallery under the jet is full of sxxxt so Iguess I,ll have to strip the carbs and clean them. seeya

Lucky

Yes, both carbs have the nozzles, (so do ours) but do both have the pumps that attach to the carb bowls & throttle linkage?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black