News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Carburetor Video

Started by Re-Vision, June 20, 2013, 11:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Rick mentioned a video for comprehensive pictures of carb cleaning and adjustments. Unless someone volunteers to do this it will probably not get done. First, do we have anyone qualified to make a video that would give a non-mechanic confidence enough to attempt to clean and adjust his own carburetors? If not, would a step-by-step instruction with pictures provide enough information to help a novice to competently do his own carburetors. I think we have most all the information needed here in our archives to do the job but not assembled together with appropriate pictures and diagrams. I probably have every carburetor used by 82 and 83 Visions and a pretty good digital camera. With help from the rest of you Visionaries I would be willing to put together a step-by-step procedure whereby we could all input our thoughts and ideas to make a comprehensive instruction manual for "Cleaning and Adjustment of Vision Carburetors". Let me state clearly, I don't know how to clean and adjust carbs. Thoughts and criticisms welcomed.     BDC

fret not

Bobby, you are a brave and generous man, and I thank you for that.  Probably a very good idea.  Also could show how to turn and bend with the carbs to remove and replace them, and a plain run down of cable and hose routing.

I'm still hoping some reasonable alternative to the stock carbs appears.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Fuzzlewump

After a few weeks of working with these carbs, I gotta say that I think this is a fantastic idea. For me they're still a lot like a Rubik's cube. It would be wonderful to have all the forum advice organized and put into a comprehensive guide.

It could include an overview of the fuel/air channeling process, as well as details on how exactly that process is changed by things like accelerator pump adjustment, synching and idle mixture, airbox variances, YICS tweaking, etc.

In my efforts with tuning the carbs, the one question I keep asking myself is "How exactly do these things work?" Having all the answers in one spot would be a godsend!
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

sunburnedaz

Quote from: Fuzzlewump on June 21, 2013, 10:34:05 PM
After a few weeks of working with these carbs, I gotta say that I think this is a fantastic idea. For me they're still a lot like a Rubik's cube. It would be wonderful to have all the forum advice organized and put into a comprehensive guide.

It could include an overview of the fuel/air channeling process, as well as details on how exactly that process is changed by things like accelerator pump adjustment, synching and idle mixture, airbox variances, YICS tweaking, etc.

In my efforts with tuning the carbs, the one question I keep asking myself is "How exactly do these things work?" Having all the answers in one spot would be a godsend!

Come on up north and I will help you with the carbs. Or I can come to you. I can grab a camera and we can do it to your carbs.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Rick G

I'm going to have to rebuild  a set for my Vision , to get it running, so I will defiantly be doing it . I will have to wait until day time temps go down a bit . In the mean time  , I'll
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Re-Vision

Anyone know how many different carb variations exist?    BDC

Rick G

I have seen three, The early version of the '82 the upgraded version of the '82 and the '83,  If you have the early '82 then you need to up grade to the later version. "83's are a pain in the ass, There are really no parts available  for some critical items . I f I had an '83 that needed carbs I would convert it to ''82 carbs.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

pinholenz

Brilliant idea. I have recently been thinking what a help this would be. Having fumbled my way through so far, not really sure what I am doing but getting lots of help from the forum and older posts, this would be a boon. It could be done collaboratively using say, a Google doc account for a number of contributors and photos, with links to video where that would be better. (Removing carb,  synching the carbs etc)

Perhaps a place to start would be breaking the task down into sections covering removal, pump and petcock systems, airbox variants, carb variants, basic fuel and air flow routes, names for parts and location of jets, and so on.

What I am finding these days is that many of my younger friends (under 30 - the digitally native generation) have never tinkered with cars or bikes. Picking up tools and fixing some mechanical device is as big a mystery to them as writing code is to me. Being able to package and pass on such information will help keep Visions running for another 30 years.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Re-Vision

Not knowing exactly where this project will go and how it's to get there, I would like to keep all necessary info for this project under one roof (here at ROV) so that the minimum data will always be available when using the procedure. Not familiar with Google Doc Accounts but willing to learn. I like Pinholes' Task Breakdown and would like to know if anyone has pictures of carb removal or do I need to start on my bike (82) by removing the tank and taking pictures of removing them? Lets Gitter Done.     BDC

pinholenz

I have to teach myself Premier Pro so that I can stay one page ahead of my students teaching them -so I thought that this carburetor tutorial  video might be a project to tackle.

I'll see how far I can go with some mid '82 carbs and post it for critique and feedback. First off I thought that I'd start with naming the components and location of each of the jets. Then dis-assemble, clean and reassemble. I don't have a kit, so using the kit would need to be a separate section, as would replacing the butterfly valve seals, repairing the boots, removal, reinstall, testing for leaks and synching. Then there is the pump and petcock.

And, a video on valve clearance adjustment would help as well. I understand that this is the REAL starting place for overcoming stumble and that no amount of cleaning will help if the valve clearances aren't correct before synching - is that right?

Would not having a voice-over be a problem?  Use instruction screens instead? That way it would  be easier for others to add or remove sections and it would be easier for non-English speakers to follow by just pausing at relevant screens.

Cheers

jordancjordanc

Any development on this front?

pinholenz

I have done a couple of videos using stop motion, but was unable to continue. (Got made redundant from my University and had to give all my toys and software back!!)

The two I have done are posted up on Vimeo at the links below. I hope they are helpful

All the best,

http://vimeo.com/71009440

http://vimeo.com/70672209

John

jordancjordanc

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

This video saved my arse as I couldn't remember what way round the seals went, and they aren't shown on the fiche.

One good addition would be a mention that the screws are all JIS standard.  They look like phillips, but are not.  Phillips drivers are just about guaranteed to strip the heads.   I'd advise getting a JIS driver.

pinholenz

I'm glad the video helped. Good tip about the JIS screwdriver. I confess that I stumbled my way through with a plain old Phillips. I didn't know that you could still get JIS!

The Prophet of Doom

You can buy them on ebay - around $NZ100 landed in Kiwiland.  You can improve the Phillips driver a bit by grinding the tip flat, but there's no substitute for the real deal.

dingleberry

Wow that is expensive! Be cheaper to replace the screws with Philips or hex head as I do with most case screws.
You like, oui?

pullshocks

I bought this JIS screwdriver set for about $25 US.  Highly recommended.