Just got myself a Vision.....well sorta

Started by Drucifer, July 08, 2013, 10:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drucifer

Have been hanging around here for a while looking at everyones rather nice machines so as finally having got one after being promised a bike from a friend for absolute ages he dropped it off late last night, told me it was some XZ550 that had been given "tasteful" upgrades......well some peoples ideas of tasteful are not mine lol
To sum it up it has RGV250 front end, RGV petrol tank, seat unit, rear lights, a non standard carb with pod filters, high level exhausts and a VX800 rear wheel.
Been sitting in his garden a good few years so gonna take a while to sort it out although he did start it up briefly before some the wiring just fizzled out :(
Will get some better pictures later as rather dark in my garages at night and phone has no flash.

Jimustanguitar

I'm curious to see some more pictures. Also interested in what carbs were swapped in.

Hope you get on the road soon, good luck!

QBS

It is certainly not "unmolested".  Somebody spent a lot of time, trouble, and $ to get it to its' current state.  The Suzuki front end might make the handling a little dodgy.  Approach with care.      Welcome to the Forum.

Jimustanguitar

I like the undertail exhaust too. Perhaps some of the things that it displaced under the seat are what's acting up now...

Drucifer

Well here are some more pictures, took the bodywork and tank off......

Walt_M.

Well, that is just fascinating! And I mean that in a good way. But you have quite a bit of work ahead of you. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Whale oil beef hooked!

jefferson

Somebody did a lot of work to get it this far. Now it needs some detail work and finesse. The carb looks like a stocker with pod filters on it. That VX rear wheel is interesting as to what he did to get it to go on. Good luck with your future endeavors to get it on the road reliably.

Jeff

Rick G

The carbs do appear to be stockers. The Vx wheel will allow a  better selection of tyres . Its 17 inch and accommodate up to a 150 tyre.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

Very intresting indeed!  :D I'm also curious about the rear wheel conversion but wonder how wide a tire the swingarm will accomodate? What size tires are on it? The coils on the rear spring look heavy - does the rear suspension seem stiff?  Is the front rim an 18"?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

ceme24

Very interesting bike!  I am humbled as I struggle with the mechanical skills to maintain a stock Vision let alone work with a unique bike like this!

I hope it works out for you!
CE
1982 Vision

Rick G

The front wheel appears to be from a GS500 which uses a 17 inch tyre . Its a common  conversion on VXs too!
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Drucifer

Well have started stripping it down, got the odd subframe off it and started trying to make sense of the electrics, most of it seems to be rotten, the fuse box is from god knows what and broken so will replace that, think I may have to make a new loom for the bike and see if am missing any lil black boxes!
The rear wheel hasn't come off yet but is only running a 140/60 rear so nothing special, could easy fit a 150 if not 160 on that.

Rick G

Don't over tyre the bike  In-spite of the wide rim you will find that it will handle quicker  with some thing in the  120 70 range'
The VX came with a 150 70 rear tyre , but after  experimentation I ended up with a  m130 70  as i could not get a 140 in the brand i chose. The VX with its long wheel base an cruiser fork angle , need all the help it could get  to turn in . The Vision , with its  nearly 6 inch shorter wheel base and quick steering front end does not. The bigger tear tyre will slow down  the steering.

I know its the American way , "If a little bit is good and a lot is better, then too much is enough" But some times to much is too much.
Rick G