Carb Video - Feedback appreciated

Started by pinholenz, July 19, 2013, 11:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

I have posted a chapter from the Vision carb tutorial that I have been working on. I'd appreciate comments and suggestions -especially if my terminology becomes confusing or if I am plain wrong!!

This first part deals with replacing the throttle shaft seals. Cheers

http://vimeo.com/70672209         (with music)

http://vimeo.com/70668221
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

fret not

Great job on the video, but usually posting it once is enough.  I think Tech Talk would be the appropriate place.

I'm looking forward to more.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

tig5

Looking good. Video tuts are super handy. I'd be keen to see more of these.

Rikugun

copied from a post elsewhere....

I agree, very good tutorial!  :) I'm sure the video length belies the actual time invested in it's creation so thank you. I liked the use of a second set of screws to set and hold the plates prior to application of threadlocker. Not sure if that's your idea or someone else but a good tip.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Did you mention the screw spec in the tutorial?

pinholenz

No I didn't. That's a good point. Er... what is the spec?. My screws came to me courtesy of VintageBikeWorks. (He needs to be added to the credit line as well) Cross head M3x8mm, countersunk. raised head?

The Prophet of Doom

fret not

Those are called 'oval head' here, to differentiate from the flat head type, both being countersunk.  Round head would refer to a higher raised profile head similar to pan head but rounder and with a flat bottom to seat against a flat surface.

I apologize for my pedantic tendencies, but some words have specific meanings, especially when applied to specific areas of endeavor.  Just sayin'
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Fret nut is right.  I bought the wrong screws.  Shit

pinholenz

Classic! Sounds like a close-up photo is going to be needed to cross the cultural divide. Do our country cousins use the term "Phillips head" or "Cross head" or something similar describing the screw head slot?

Go Team New Zealand in the Loius Vouton cup in San Franscisco!! If you are not in to sailing boat racing, do have a look at this. Its a very exciting shit fight at the very front of bleeding edge technology. Breathtaking stuff.

pinholenz

Latest version up loaded to Vimeo with the shaft screw specification included. Thanks for the feedback

http://vimeo.com/70672209

Fuzzlewump

The video is great! And you make it look so easy and straightfoward, which should encourage others to take on the challenge.  ;) I thought the music was a nice choice as well, being a big fan of the blues and all.

I have to admit that Rick G's warnings of the difficulty of the job were very warranted, at least in my case. At the same time, I'm glad I went ahead and did the seal replacement, as now I am certain that there are no leaks there and shouldn't be for quite some time to come. And now that I've done the job, if it needs to be done again later it won't be near as difficult because I'll not be replacing 30-yr-old parts.

Having done the throttle valve shaft seal replacement myself, it's obvious to me you put a good deal of time and effort into that video Pinhole, and it's very commendable!
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

pinholenz

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions everyone.

I reckon that the shaft seal replacement will be Part 4 in the series. Over on the General Board I have posted a link to the first version of Part One. Any music choices for that one? Thanks for the encouragement.

pinholenz

Shortly after I made the two videos on carbs, (one as an introduction and the other dealing with the shaft seals)  I was made redundant by the University where I was employed as a photography lecturer. (In fact the whole Design Department was axed, - about 50 people) They took all my toys away!!

So I am sorry, but the two videos are the first and last from me and unless I can get my hands on the right toys again it won't be going any further. Thanks to all for the encouragement.

(P.s. I am now retired and loving it!)

Rikugun

Having been made redundant (work wise) a few times myself I feel your pain. Seems like a lot more of that kind of thing goes on anymore.

Congrats on your retirement and enjoy!  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: pinholenz on July 13, 2015, 12:50:58 AM
They took all my toys away!!
I have a video camera I don't use much.  I can lend it to you if you need one.