Big-Arse Brakes Mod

Started by The Prophet of Doom, July 25, 2013, 07:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Sorry Rigugun, I didn't realise you were incapable of waiting.
Is this better?

I love being able to PC at home.

Re-Vision

You need some gold 83 wheels to match the calipers. Powder coat does look nice.     BDC

Rikugun

Sweet! Looks too good to get brake dust on.  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Outstanding!!  You've done what I could only dream of.  What do you think of the look if the socket heads (but not the washers) were powder coated as well?  I think the gold wheels would be perfect.

The Prophet of Doom

Thanks QBS, although I used a mill to create the step, it could easily have been done without, and spaced out with washers instead.
Other than that I used no special tools.  It's a job well within the reach of any visionary - just needs a bit of care in aligning everything.

The gold  wheels never made it to this market. 
I suppose I could get a regular pair powdered, but  I have other plans for the wheels.

charlie h.

Hellgate, are those FJ600 wheels 16"? I found a set at my friend's local cycle salvage, and they were 16"... also, do they bolt on without mods to the XV920Rh/RJ forks? Thanks brother, they look killer!

The Prophet of Doom

Started part 2 of the big-arse brakes mod evening.   Do please chip in with any ideas.
I milled the wheel down so that the outside ring is flush with the centre.  The rotor mount will sit on this.

PwrManDan

you gonna replace the bearings while you are there?  You are far more capable than I am POD, that's all I got LOL.

Rikugun

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on November 11, 2013, 05:34:29 AM
Do please chip in with any ideas.
I think I see what you did there....  :D And if not your intent, just a happy accident what with all the aluminum chips.  ;)

I didn't know you were making the rear a disk setup too - very cool! How do plan on mounting the rotor? An adaptor plate with the spline hub holes doing double duty?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

New bearings of course.  They are already in the freezer.

I wasn't going to start this till I had the bike running, but then realised after this month I'd have no milling access till February due to the summer holidays.  Initially I was hoping to have spokey wheels, but now I'm not so sure. 

I thought I'd drill and tap new holes, but clearances are a bit tight, so I'll just use 5 straight through bolts on the original holes.
You can see that the shaft bolts and rotor bolts are well clear of each-other.

Hellgate

Quote from: charlie h. on October 26, 2013, 07:47:12 AM
Hellgate, are those FJ600 wheels 16"? I found a set at my friend's local cycle salvage, and they were 16"... also, do they bolt on without mods to the XV920Rh/RJ forks? Thanks brother, they look killer!

They are 18" wheels. We had to machine spacers.

I used the rear wheel too and converted from the drum brake to the FJ600 caliper and an FZ6 mc.

EBC rotors all the way around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Pete
Past Yamahas: '73 TX500 - '76 RD400E - '82 Vision - '85 RZ350 - '07 FZ6 Current Yamahas: '05 R6 Track Bike - '06 FZ1

injuhneer

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on November 11, 2013, 07:49:25 PM
New bearings of course.  They are already in the freezer.

I wasn't going to start this till I had the bike running, but then realised after this month I'd have no milling access till February due to the summer holidays.  Initially I was hoping to have spokey wheels, but now I'm not so sure. 

I thought I'd drill and tap new holes, but clearances are a bit tight, so I'll just use 5 straight through bolts on the original holes.
You can see that the shaft bolts and rotor bolts are well clear of each-other.

How did the finished product look?
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

The Prophet of Doom

I never did finish that rear wheel.  I put that particular part of the project on the back burner when I found that in New Zealand any mods (other that labelled XZ550 parts) need a compliance certificate at well over $1000.

I'm now rocking stock brakes front and rear, but powder coated, rebuilt (new pistons, seals, pins, MC kit), Brembo ceramic pads, EBC rotors and HEL Stainless Braided lines.  All within the rules and as good as I'll get without signoff from a registered engineer.

injuhneer

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on July 14, 2019, 12:19:41 AM
I never did finish that rear wheel.  I put that particular part of the project on the back burner when I found that in New Zealand any mods (other that labelled XZ550 parts) need a compliance certificate at well over $1000.

I'm now rocking stock brakes front and rear, but powder coated, rebuilt (new pistons, seals, pins, MC kit), Brembo ceramic pads, EBC rotors and HEL Stainless Braided lines.  All within the rules and as good as I'll get without signoff from a registered engineer.

Hmm. Well if all it needs is a part number... ;-)

I ask because I am working on a similar mod. An aluminum machined plug replaces the drum backing plate. The plug will have the 6 bolt pattern for a rotor. The rest will be bog stock R1 or R6 bits.

I also find that the prices on the XJ900 wheels have escalated a bit.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ