News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Carb Overhaul Video Pt1 Posted on Vimeo

Started by pinholenz, July 25, 2013, 03:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

The next installment of the carb overhaul Video is posted on Vimeo.
Again, I'd appreciate feedback and critique especially where there are typo's, inaccuracies or misinformation.

Suggestions for music would be good!

Thanks for contributions to the throttle shaft seal segment, which I figure will now be Part 4

Cheers

http://vimeo.com/71009440

Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

Again - very very nicely done.  I could have done with this first time I busted open a carb.
Typo: seperate should be separate

Part 1 could include how to get the carbs off the bike.  I remember first time I did it, I thought I was going to have to drop the engine.

pinholenz

Cheers Roro,

Dammit, funny how some words always trip you up!

It would be good to have someone with an actual video camera do the removal from the bike and the carb synching. I am limited to the timelapse I am afraid, and it would be a couple of months before I get to that stuff. Happy to give it a go though.

My first time taking the carbs off I started by dismantling the boots. Took me hours!

mdskinner731

"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

QBS

Pin, thank you for the wonderful '82 carb tutorial.  This is the first time I have seen an '82 carb stripped down.  Now the differences between '82 and '83 carbs are known to me.  The emulsion tube and idle mixture adjustment screw positions are very different.  Suggestions:  the words "be aware" and the word "beware" carry different connotations.  Perhaps including a tip on how to deal with stuck small round headed screws would be helpful.  Namely, clamping a small vise grip tool on to them 90 degrees away from being in line with their central axis, and twisting.  The resulting "snap" as they break loose is wonderful to experience.  Cheers.

Rikugun

Another great installment John and the best part - no commercials!  ;D  ;D  I thought adding part numbers for key components was a nice touch and the fact you left in the gasket break illustrates an unfortunate but occasional reality. Way to keep it real.  :) I see you have a broken bowl drain "T" fitting. If you do a little searching a few members have fixes for that. I'm not creative enough to suggest appropriate music but I thought what you used last time worked so I trust your judgment.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

Great suggestions thanks. I slipped and busted the "T" fitting Rikugun. I haven't thought about a fix, but I was going to rob another carb. In fact, a fix is better since many others won't have the luxury of another carb.

QBS, I like the idea of a "tips and tricks" section. I will get a small pair of vise grips to demonstrate. At the moment I use a big old clunky pair - effective and that 'snap" really does give a satisfying feeling of relief. But a small pair would be far more elegant and not ruin so many screws.

Another tip will be to demonstrate the use of a small screw extractor for jets like the pilot jet that have lost their slots.

I saw in a photo that another member has replaced their carb screws with stainless steel allen key screws. Smart move. That's another thing for the tips section. Other suggestions and sage wisdom welcomed.

Good subtle point about "be aware". I will correct that. My sloppy use of English. Having said that,  "Be aware" will quickly turn to ""beware" - you will waste time and money" if you don't check what size jet the kit comes with!

Thanks all. Currently working on the carb tops section

The Prophet of Doom

Stainless steel allen key screws look great on the carb - really updates the look of them.  You need quite a few...
This is off my shopping list but I recall there were a few thinner bolts I missed. The diameter/pitch is all the same - I took an example in and can't remember offhand
12 x 12mm
12 x 8mm
2 x 10mm
4 x 30mm
6  x 40mm

The stainless screws will strip the tapped aluminium more easily than steel bolts will, and will also corrode (galvanic corrosion) more readily.  A little copper-free anti-seize will I think help on both counts.

KyleMCMXC

I just want to say thank you so much for this. I'll have a garage starting in September and this is likely one of the first things I'm going to do to my bike once I have space. Having something that so easily spells it out like this is going to be a godsend.
1982 XZ550 Black - In progress...

RBFD415

Putting my carbs back together and using the video, very helpful!

One big question- what happened to parts 2 and 3?

When I search it only shows me the number 1 video and part 4( on the shafts?)

I'm looking for a diagram to double check my work. Any ideas?

pinholenz

I'm glad the videos were useful. Parts 2 and 3 never got made. Around this time I got made redundant from my teaching job and lost access to all the editing software, lights and cameras. Since that time i have had a stumble free bike and haven't had to do any work on carbs.

I'll look out for another set of XZ550 Carbs and maybe get Parts 2 and 3 started. Meantime I am enjoying the riding! All the best for your project.

Cheers