Would these be a bad idea?

Started by tig5, September 06, 2013, 06:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tig5

I'm thinking about changing up my levers for something a bit shinier ;)

What do you guys think the likelihood is of these failing and requiring me to apply the Flinstone brakes?

NITROPOLIS

I think they look great. Wanting to change mine out since I'm in the middle of a rebuild. Do you know the bore Dia. ?

tig5

Bore as in the diameter of the fluid line?
Unfortunately I don't know any more than what is on the auction. I did see the same pairs on alibaba selling for $35USD so long as you bought a thousand. Sometimes I like to pose as an interested retailer and ask for a sample product but unfortunately in this case they are only produced on order. It's a good place to keep an eye on for parts though, especially parts that you don't mind being chinese.

Nice though eh? There are plenty of other similar ones, foldable and adjustable and in a hideous array of colors.

The Prophet of Doom

They look great - I'd love a pair.  You can get the same thing for half that price on Aliexpress - here...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black-Universal-Motorcycle-Clutch-Brake-Levers-Master-Cylinder-Kit-Reservoir-Set-OEM/1168710409.html

I doubt strength will be an issue, the stock Yamaha levers are pretty shitty metal it would be hard to make worse
M/c diameter -  is this correct for single or double caliper probably single as they specify 125c.c. to 400 c.c. - I know you have double
The XZ switches are quite wide will there be sufficient lever hanging over the grips
You will probably need new mirrors as Yamahas have a reverse thread on one side
Are rebuild kits available, or will you need to replace entire set every few years

tig5

Thanks mate those were the issues I probably wouldn't have thought about.

The Prophet of Doom

Also can't see a brake light switch on them

Rikugun

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on September 07, 2013, 09:18:35 AM
Also can't see a brake light switch on them
I think I see a micro switch underneath but I agree the quality and replacement parts is suspect. I can see the draw of the modern look and adjustability. Maybe something modern but used from a known Japanese model on E-Bay?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

tig5

I just lost my wing mirror in the latest storm so that's no longer a problem. I'll contact the supplier and let you guys know if they come with a switch.

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Guerrero

so,has any one done thing like this? and was successful?because my levers are really worn out.free moving too much etc.
any ideas on this?

tig5

I just ordered a pair so they are still probably 2-3 weeks away from arriving. I'll let you know how they work out.

The Prophet of Doom

Would be interesting to know the master cylinder size also.
These would look tits on my bike but worried about the volume with my big-arse brakes.

Guerrero

oh,and btw i have double discs in front,will it be a problem?
any way,let us know,how it goes :)and good luck