News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Does your Vision reward you for riding it?

Started by wolfman, August 23, 2003, 08:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

RussD: They were tears of joy for the two of us being home at last.

A snap shift is an up shift where, with the engine under heavy throttle/accelleration, you preload the shift lever in the upward direction with the top of your foot.  Then, when it's time for the next gear and while maintaining the preload you,  as quickly as possible, "snap" the throttle closed and then wide open again.  All this is done without touching the clutch lever.  During the short time the throttle is closed the transmission is unloaded.  And, because the shift mechanism is preloaded for an upshift, it upshifts immediatley.  The keys to success are a heavily preloaded shift lever and a really fast throttle hand.

If done correctly (it's really not very difficult), an almost instantanious shift is accomplished without damaging the transmission.  This is because of the way the shifting mechanism in the transmission is designed.  This technique can be applied to any up shift from 2nd on up.  However, under no circumastances would I make it a habit of riding your bike like this.  Only shift like this on occasions when it's time for max hustle.  

Also....DO NOT SHIFT THIS WAY FROM 1st TO 2nd GEAR.  While it is possible to successfully complete a 1 2 shift this way, the chances are not good.  Failure includes explorations far above the engine red line and an only partially engaged 2nd gear.  There is a high probability of incurring engine/transmission damage.  The reason for this is the nessessity of traveling through the neutral zone on your way to 2nd.  It's a long shift.  You rarely make it unscathed.

This technique can be applied to most motorcycles and certainly almost all Japanes bikes.  It is only used for upshifts.  Never down shifts!!  Cheers.

sgrprincees

I have shifted up very easily with no preloading just snapping off after having the engine under some load then pushing up.  I have also downshifted from 3rd to 2nd without the clutch, but I attribute that more to luck than skill, since there wasn't much of a clunk and no graunching.

Rick G

Its a long story on how I  got my v upside down in a creek, but briefly , I was traveling home, after dark, on a winding 2 lane road , I was not going fast ( I go like hell in the daytime, somtimes ,but not at night)   But I was thinking (too much) about problems at work .  I crossed over the centre line  at an off camber ,decresing radius turn and like a beginer, I tried to use the brakes instead of pulling it down and cranking on some throttle . I went wide and the bike dropped into the creek bed . I on the other hand ,went straight ahead , into a berry patch . When my senses returned , my feet were up in the berry vines  so I wiggled my toes ,feet legs  and then arms  and every thing seemed to work and didn't hurt much  (right then!) I looked left  and saw that my license plate was ABOVE the tail light !  It took me a min. to figuer that one out .  Any way I managed to roll over and get my cell out and call my daughter  and son in law, to bring the pickup, another call to AARP motor club brought a tow truck to hoist it out of the creek .  A weeks hobbling around and 2 1/2 months working on  the spare bike   and we are good to go . But the first Vision is now a parts bike and yes, I do feel guilty. It was a great bike and deserved better.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike