Shaft drive oil and battery questions...

Started by biaggi, August 29, 2003, 01:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biaggi

Hi all,

Is transmission oil for the shaft drive worth the extra $$ or will regular car/motorcycle engine oil do??

Also, is there any sure way to test if the battery is good or not?? Having nearly completed changing the stator and testing the rest of the electrics, I don't want to put the old battery back in if it's duff.

It looks relatively new and appears to be holding it's charge despite being in the shed for the last couple of weeks but has some white discolouration on the internal elements - is this normal??

Thanks in advance :)

Lucky

NO NO,don't do it!  Rear end takes SAE80 API GL-4 Hypoid gear oil or equivilent.

as for testing the battery, you could have it load tested, but that puts a helluva lot of stress on the battery...

If the charging system is up to par, & the battery is in good shape, then you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

You really need to get a Haynes manual for the bike.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Walt_M.

Lucky is right on the gear lube, and change it every 2nd oil change. As for the battery, sounds like it is starting to sulfate. Some chargers can reverse that, or so they say, the Battery Tender is one. I did have a little Sears trickle charger that cleared a sulfated battery in only a couple of days. The bike's charging system won't do it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

Every second oil change  may be over kill , once a year  is fine , it depends on how much you ride  and therefor how often you change you oil. for me its 3 times a year or in agood year 4 times . (I wish! )
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike