News:

Main Menu

chain conversion

Started by dingleberry, October 23, 2013, 02:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

Does it fit in the XZ frame? 

I've had thought of adapting a different swing arm to incorporate two shocks, like motorcycles are supposed to have.  Several models use the same SA bearings and parts, just different swing arms.  I think it's rather important to have a good fitting swing arm, with adequate support from the frame so things don't become all wiggly under stress. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

dingleberry

Yes it fits ok, except will have to weld different bush mounts? to the frame. It's a starting point to continue the conversion.
You like, oui?

Rikugun

QuoteThere's two steel rings still in place behind bearing. What purpose do these serve?

The steel rings may be thrust shims to achieve proper bevel gear teeth engagement? 

Rather than trying to fit a chain drive model's swinging arm into a Vision frame, it may be easier to fit the Vision engine into a chain drive frame.  An SV650 may be a good candidate. I could take this line of thinking one step further but I won't. I don't want to be accused of discouraging someone's dream.  :)

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

dingleberry

Thrust shims, Ok I'm learning all the time and that's what this is all about for me. I'm sure you guys have mostly come by your vast knowledge by repairing or modifying things when it would be quick and easy to just buy something else. This project is definitely a budget build using only what I have or can obtain very cheaply.
You like, oui?

fret not

"definitely a budget build using only what I have or can obtain very cheaply."

Just regular Life, it's the way things go.  You use what you have.  In my younger days (before I was married) I had a bike rather than a car for my transportation, and had to make things work or walk.  One learns a great deal out of necessity.  I learned to get a car.  Actually my preferred vehicle other than the bike is a pick up or a van., so I can haul the bike if necessary.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

dingleberry

Perhaps budget was the wrong term. I just don't want to spend much on it. I have plenty of other bikes to soak up the larger amounts of money. Here's another mock up with a CB250RS wheel. Would rather use alloy dirt bike wheels with disc brakes, but would have to use two back wheels (have to match) which in use as a front would be too wide? Thoughts? Don't know much about (anything!) wheels/tyres/handling.
You like, oui?

Rikugun

Quote from: dingleberry on May 12, 2014, 07:59:44 PM
Thrust shims, Ok I'm learning all the time...... I'm sure you guys have mostly come by your vast knowledge by repairing or modifying things........

I've never had the middle drive gear apart, I looked on the part fiche and deduced the shims were what you described.    :P
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

dingleberry

I have recently developed an interest in classic/vintage trials so I have started converting an old Yamaha AG200 to a trials bike. I don't think this bike was available in the US but it is a farm version of an XT200 (AG for agriculture I believe). So I was eying up to swap out the swing arm with a DT200 I have and realized this is the same as the XT250 one in pictures above, except it is of square tube like the Vision swing arm. So, there is an ideal candidate for swing arm swap if anyone wants to do chain drive conversion and keep the same look. Just thought I'd mention for any reference value. And no, I'm no closer at getting mine converted as I am very easily distracted. 
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Why don't you do a trials XZ400.  First of a kind !!!

dingleberry

Ha ha. Or I could just buy a trials bike and bolt 100kg of concrete to it. Maybe I could saw off one of my legs as well so I don't have an unfair advantage  ::)
You like, oui?