News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

round headlight conversion and wiring

Started by lowandslow_A4, May 19, 2014, 10:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowandslow_A4

Hey guys, i bought a aftermarket round headlight with some turn signals and was wondering what everybody with round headlights do with the wiring that was originally tucked away in the old headlight housing. doesnt seem right to just leave it out in the open, was thinking i make a metal box to keep everything protected from any rain i might encounter. TIA!

Re-Vision

The previous owner may have gotten rid of it, but there is normally a rubber cover that sits behind the headlight enclosure and directly below the speedometer. It is nestled in a metal bracket that fits between the forks and this is where the miscellaneous connectors are usually stuffed for protection from the elements. Would suggest that you make one from an old tire tube rather than metal.   BDC

PS Rubber cover has two large openings at its bottom.

lowandslow_A4

Rikugun

I thought the rubber cover was for RK models where the headlight is moved considerably forward with the fairing where the wiring won't reach? Is the new round unit so tiny the wires won't fit into it's housing?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

Re-Vision

Rik is right, without a fairing you wont have room for the rubber cover.     BDC

lowandslow_A4

i ended up stuffing half of the wiring inside the headlight housing, wasnt much room.

lowandslow_A4

so i cant get the turn signals to work right, they light up but dont blink. im goin from the stock 25w bulb to a 8w bulb. no led's or anything, just regular halogen bulbs. couldnt find a 40w resistor so spliced in 50w resistors for both circuits but still dont work. only change from when the resistor are in is i can hear the relay click once and then bulbs just stay on.

Re-Vision

You didn't mention what Ohmage resistors you are using nor how you are connecting them. My calculations may be incorrect but I think you need a nine Ohm 25 Watt or bigger resistor in parallel with the 8 Watt bulb to draw the same current as your stock 25 Watt bulb. Is this approximately what you are doing?     BDC

lowandslow_A4

using this exact resistor and connector, i replaced both front and rear turn signals with 8w bulbs. one side of the resistor is goin to the power side and the other to ground for each turn signal circuit. so i might need a bigger ohm resistor?

Re-Vision

I had calculated using a resistor for each light bulb which isn't necessary, two 4.5 Ohm 50 Watt resistors should should duplicate the original circuit.     BDC

lowandslow_A4

ok so i need 2, 9 ohm 50 watt resistors, one for each turn signal circuit. how do you determine the ohm reading? just wondering

fret not

Test your circuit with an OHMMETER, and you buy the parts (resistors) with specific values.  You can check the new parts with the meter too, but they should be correctly labeled.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Re-Vision

Quote from: lowandslow_A4 on May 23, 2014, 11:23:00 PM
ok so i need 2, 9 ohm 50 watt resistors, one for each turn signal circuit. how do you determine the ohm reading? just wondering

No, there is no need for 4 resistors, two will suffice but they need to draw the same current that 4 would have. That is why the Ohms is reduced by half which will cause the current to double.     BDC

lowandslow_A4

yeh thats what i meant, 2 total resistors for the whole bike. 1 resistor for each turn signal circuit.
thanks everybody for your help! now on to pulling the carbs and cleaning