News:

Main Menu

Checklist

Started by The Prophet of Doom, November 22, 2013, 06:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

The EZ out arrived today.  I've heard nothing but bad things about these.  Unwarranted in this case

The hard part was getting the bolt stub drilled out as it snapped  a fair way down.  The hole on the head is 8mm to fit the dowel.  I removed the dowel, drilled a 7mm hole in some scrap, then used that as a guide so I wouldn't chafe the sides.  That flattened the bolt stub a bit, and followed through with a 3mm.  Nice and slowly with lots of lube.

Placed the EZ out on the newly drilled hole, gave it a "Thwack" to seat it in place then ever so slowly turned it anti-clockwise with a tap spanner.  Success!!

Although I can't inspect the valve seats I shimmed all the valves correctly except one which is one size out.  I'm not waiting for one to arrive and it's close enough. 

New o-rings on the waterpipes,  new exhaust gaskets.  The head bolt gaskets were not in great shape, but a wash in warm soapy water and a spray with CRC 808 silicone and they are passable. 

The engine's ready to go back in the bike - fingers crossed that I did everything right 

fret not

Once you get it together again take a compression test.  That will tell you if you really need to do the valves.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

QBS

You might be able to to do a comp. test out of the frame.  Have a worthy assistant stabilize the engine while you run 12vdc directly to the starter.

The Prophet of Doom

A good idea QBS but I don't have a compression tester, so it's going in without.

I put the engine in today.  I've never done it on my own before so had to use a different method from before.  I put a cargo strap on either side then lifted one end (with the 4 x 2 as a lever) while tightening the strap with the other hand.  Each end went up about 1cm at a time till it was the right height to swing back an inch or so into place.

If not exactly easy  it wasn't overly difficult - certainly easier than 2 people manhandling it into place.
Radiator is in also.  Exhaust is next - I'll try the cargo strap for that as well as I've had a lot of difficulty in the past

dingleberry

I have a compression tester you can use if you like.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Thanks, I'd like to use that at some stage for the project bike.  I won't bother for this one - she either blows or she goes.

dingleberry

hehe, that's my motto too! my wife is still here.
You like, oui?

iain

Mine too
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Iain
NZ

The Prophet of Doom

Keep it seemly boys, there are Americans on here. 

This evenings mini-project was to enlarge the exhaust bungs out to M10 for my EGA, and to mount the exhausts.

The Y piece already has a bung so that just needed enlarging and tapping.  Unlike stock mufflers the Cycleworks have no bung, so I drilled and tapped and was going to weld a nut on, but can't find a nut with the right pitch.  For the time being it can just go straight in - the metal's fairly thick.

Discovered there are no gaskets anywhere in the exhaust system.  No wonder it was noisy - I just thought the baffles were a bit gone.  It will never go well without a sealed exhaust.   I have some copper head gaskets but biggest concern is where the Y pipe goes towards the head connectors - there's such a lot of slop - too much for exhaust cement to work I think.

Yamaha gaskets are unobtanium - what do you guys use?   

The Prophet of Doom

I wrote about my approach to having no crush rings over here.
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=15058.msg138223#msg138223

I used the cargo strap method to lift the muffler and it is by far the easiest muffler install I've ever done.  Why hasn't anyone suggested this before?

Should be pressing the go button tomorrow morning - just carbs, wheels and misc stuff to go

The Prophet of Doom

The bike's all back together now.  All the lights work and the starter button make the engine go round and round.
All I need is some petrol.  Why don't petrol stations deliver?

dingleberry

Well done. Shout yourself a taxi to the gas station as a reward for sticking at it.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

My mother came found for tea and scones today, so I borrowed her car and shot round to the BP for 5 litres of 98

Other than a bit of cranking to get the fuel flowing it started fine, and re-starts first touch of the button
I've never done shims before.  The valves were only one shim size out, but the difference in how it revs and sounds is really quite astounding.  Of course I also sealed the exhaust and lubricating with pure oil now rather than a oil / glycol mix.

Have warmed it up now need to let cool down for the exhaust cement to expand and seal.  By that time I'll be on my 4th Tequila, so unable to road test.  I'll be taking it out on a road test tomorrow but from what I've seen so far it's a much happier bike.

pullshocks

Well done.  You deserve a tequila or four.  Will be very interested to hear how your y-pipe seal works out.

The Prophet of Doom

The excitement was short lived.  After a few good starts, I ran out of petrol and had to walk 2 1/2 hours each way to a petrol station for more.

Filled her up and although it cranks over fine, not a sign of any internal combustion.  Charged the battery - still nothing.  Tried a few things at random, but no joy whatsoever.

Tomorrow I'm starting the whole air, fuel, spark, compression diagnostics routine.  What a pain in the neck

fret not

How did you manage to run out of petrol? :o

Maybe there is a leak somewhere. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Yes, it seems there's something weird in the carb as I put it on prime and dumped about a litre of fuel on to the ground.  Cracked the carb open, float height is good, float valve is good float seems to float in a jar of fuel OK, but slightly lopsided.  Swapped the floats out bench tested with no overflow, perfect float level.
Re-installed and it's overflowing again in rear, but just a little about 1 drip a minute.  Still it does mean the level will be over high.

Plugs were wet so swapped them out.  I'm now getting ignition but very erratic with massive backfiring and front firing out of rear cylinder it seems.  After about 2 mins of this my YICS exploded - there are little shards of plastic all over the garage.  Blocked off the YICS ports, but no improvement.

Here's a video of it "going"
http://youtu.be/wF-ZjKjPUok

Rikugun

You didn't mention which carb is overflowing - is it the same cylinder that is backfiring? You seem unclear if the rear is the one backfiring. Can you run with the sync tool installed as a diagnostic test to confirm it is the rear? Both levels will change with RPM variation but the one backfiring may be more immediate and/or dramatic.

What condition are the O rings sealing the inlet fuel valves?

Did you ever do a compression test after top end rebuild?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Wow!  An exploding yics, that's a first for us.  Sounds pretty exciting.  Wish I had been there to see it go.

dingleberry

How does it run on one cylinder with other spark plug out? Which one is the problem? Sounds like inlet valve not sealing or timing out?
You like, oui?